2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dumb question for anyone that has installed u joints.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to do what?

Yeah I thought after taking the axle out and all this was going to be a easy job. Everything went smooth until I had to get the old joint out. What a major pita that was. Then I can't get this one together either. I never thought a u joint could be so stubborn. It should be like a 15 minute job.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:36 AM
99DRAM31887
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know about this one i did mine a while back. My front one where the shaft meets the tranny yoke was so loose i could grab it and wiggle it side to side so mine came out easy. I pulled my whole drive shaft out and laid it down on the driveway next to my truck and had my dad hold it while i got the new one with caps in and it went smooth, for my 1st time doing them on my 97 lol hope u get it fixed

Old 02-05-2010, 03:44 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i need to do my front axle U joints talk about a PITA!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:07 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

use a file or sandpaper or similar to remove any scarring that sticks out into the yoke hole and reduces its size. on my d-shaft u-joints i had a similar problem and used a dremel tool with a sandpaper drum. just be very careful not to overdo it and make the yoke too big. it needs to remain as a fairly snug/press fit. but it doesn't have to be so tight that it takes a 12lb sledge to beat it in.

tip. put a generous amount of wheel bearing grease inside the cup to hold the needle bearings in place.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:41 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
use a file or sandpaper or similar to remove any scarring that sticks out into the yoke hole and reduces its size. on my d-shaft u-joints i had a similar problem and used a dremel tool with a sandpaper drum. just be very careful not to overdo it and make the yoke too big. it needs to remain as a fairly snug/press fit. but it doesn't have to be so tight that it takes a 12lb sledge to beat it in.

tip. put a generous amount of wheel bearing grease inside the cup to hold the needle bearings in place.
+1 on that...and here's a tip for the next job. Soak both caps with a GOOD penetrating oil, let them sit for a bit.
Then take a ball pien hammer and give the yoke a couple/three sharp hits about an inch away from the cup to loosen things up. On each side of course.
You were lucky the cap didn't explode from the needle bearing beeing stuck on the top of it. I hope you bought a new joint...I wouldn't trust it after the pounding it took.
Lastly, if things seem tight with the new joint ( it should rotate freely in the yoke), rap the yoke ears once, again away from the joint, and that should free things up.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 02-05-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:46 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I got the truck back together this morning. I'm glad to have it back working for the big snow storm we are getting.

BTW I did get a new joint.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:02 PM
yakkier
Banned

Congrats

Old 02-05-2010, 06:42 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats.

exact same thing happened to me.
i ****ed up one of my d-shaft u-joints the same way, even with an *** load of grease in the cup. because the fit was so tight, and i had to start bashing it with a hammer even before the cup settled over the cross... a couple of needles fell down into the bottom. so just like on yours, i bashed it on down in there just to discover it wouldn't drop all the way in.

had to start all over, sand out the scar, then take off another couple of thousands so the cup would start w/o hammering. i almost took out too much and had to look for a can of instant rust...

Quick Reply: Dumb question for anyone that has installed u joints.