2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

the best aftermarket transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sort of E - X - P - E - N - S - I - V - E.
probably mostly ok, i've read about a couple of problems, but at least a couple of people on here had good luck with them.
you can go to their site and register - and get a quote along with a list of authorized local installers. one good thing is the installation and warranty is included.

this might get some flames. a long time ago a buddy took his truck or scout or something to the local aamco. at least back then, they offered lifetime warranties. so he paid them about the same price as most places for a rebuild and got his warranty. their work wasn't all that good, but i bet he took that thing back 20 times over 20 years. he'd drop it off and cuss em out and yell - FIX IT. and they'd fix it for free....

Old 02-09-2010, 02:32 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackskyracing
Sounds like your buddy has a bad transmission case or warped VB... With all the crap I hear about local shops and "reputable" online ones it makes me wish I hadn`t messed my legs up in the Marine Corps. If I could stand being in the shop all day I would have opened a trans shop by now...
Nope not the case as he had several different cases used. He tried having his rebuilt. When that didn't last he got a re manufactured one from the Dodge dealer. That didn't hold up either. Then he got one from a company a local shop at the time carried that was also a whole other unit. That didn't last long either and now he has the one from the supposedly good transmission shop. He had the first one from them go bad but so far this second one has been going strong for him. He has over 300k miles on the truck but says it's rare to get more than 30k out of a transmission. The factory one lasted him like 120k though.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by contractorben
what about jasper trannys?
I wouldn't buy one. I worked at a shop a few years ago and they at the time sold them. I remember they put one in a car and as soon as they got it down off of the lift and went to test drive it they noticed it was already slipping and not shifting right. This experience didn't seem uncommon. I know some guys have good luck with them but they didn't seem to have good luck with them at the shop. They now no longer carry them and only will install re manufactured ones they get from the dealer due to having so many issues with the Jaspers. This just made me weary of them. I'm pretty positive the guy I talked about above has tried a Jasper too but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:21 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Nope not the case as he had several different cases used. He tried having his rebuilt. When that didn't last he got a re manufactured one from the Dodge dealer. That didn't hold up either. Then he got one from a company a local shop at the time carried that was also a whole other unit. That didn't last long either and now he has the one from the supposedly good transmission shop. He had the first one from them go bad but so far this second one has been going strong for him. He has over 300k miles on the truck but says it's rare to get more than 30k out of a transmission. The factory one lasted him like 120k though.
That`s strange... Might I ask what kind of problems he`s been having with these rebuilt units? Are they taking out hard parts or just burning up? Does he have a transmission temp gauge? It`s a dump truck so it`s obviously heavy, does he tow any small equipment? Any ideas on what he has for rear gears?

Guess we can officially say I`ve jacked this thread LOL

Oh and you guys should look into places like Goerend Bro`s Transmission or HTS or Suncoast... They make some wicked transmissions for the diesel drag racing world that survive 1000+rwhp and 1800+ ft-lbs of torque pushing 4500# of truck into the low 9s Or making an 8,000# truck pull a 40,000# sled.

Otherwise for stock and even mid level performance engines what I posted a ways back will do just fine...

Old 02-09-2010, 02:44 PM
brokenroads37502
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by contractorben
what about jasper trannys?
I cant really speak as to the quality of their transmissions but if they're anything like their engines I'd stay far far away from a JASPER! My cousin and uncle are mechanics on the panhandle of Florida and they wound up replacing the engine in my cousins truck either 3 or 4 times with a Jasper engine due to troubles from poor remanufacturing... I'm 30 years old and remember that truck from when my uncle bought it... which was before my cousin had even been thought about lol! All I know is that they were very upset with Jasper... My uncle's shop won't be installing anything from Jasper anytime soon I'm sure of that!

Old 02-09-2010, 03:58 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by blackskyracing
That`s strange... Might I ask what kind of problems he`s been having with these rebuilt units? Are they taking out hard parts or just burning up? Does he have a transmission temp gauge? It`s a dump truck so it`s obviously heavy, does he tow any small equipment? Any ideas on what he has for rear gears?

Guess we can officially say I`ve jacked this thread LOL

Oh and you guys should look into places like Goerend Bro`s Transmission or HTS or Suncoast... They make some wicked transmissions for the diesel drag racing world that survive 1000+rwhp and 1800+ ft-lbs of torque pushing 4500# of truck into the low 9s Or making an 8,000# truck pull a 40,000# sled.

Otherwise for stock and even mid level performance engines what I posted a ways back will do just fine...
I can't answer these questions as I can't remember all what he told me. The last time it went bad from the supposedly transmission shop they told him that they used a cheaper version of a part that they shouldn't have and that's what failed. I can't remember what it was though.

Previously to that he had one case crack which caused problems. Most of the other times the transmission went completely out to where he had to have it towed back. Not just slipping. I'm not sure what all failed though. He uses it daily for his trash service he owns so it does get some use but he also doesn't seem to be able to get a transmission to last a year. He doesn't tow anything behind it though just has the bed full of trash.

One shop told him at one point that the exhaust was too close to the transmission and causing it to get too hot. They changed that but it hasn't stopped his transmission problems. He has been to several different repair as well as transmission shops. Some have rebuilt the transmission and some have put in a rebuilt one where they just install ones from another company. All have had issues. I'm not sure what the deal with his is to be honest.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to believe all those continuing failures have more to do with how this particular guy treats/uses his truck than any inherent flaw in the design of the transmission. Yeah, the trannys aren't great, but that many failures of different cases, repairs, parts, etc. indicates abuse and/or incompetence, not a failing of Chrysler.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
I have to believe all those continuing failures have more to do with how this particular guy treats/uses his truck than any inherent flaw in the design of the transmission. Yeah, the trannys aren't great, but that many failures of different cases, repairs, parts, etc. indicates abuse and/or incompetence, not a failing of Chrysler.
Well, I'm sure hauling around a bed of trash day after day is hard on it but still it should hold up. I think his problem is crappy rebuilds not the way he drives it. He is a old guy that drives like most old guys. He doesn't beat on it other than using it to haul around the dump truck bed full of trash like I said.

I don't think it's his fault nor Chrysler's really. Just crappy repair shops. As I said he got like 120k out of the original transmission. That's not that bad at all in my opinion. He did have issues with rebuilt ones from the Dodge dealer though so I'm not sure of the quality on those or if it was just the one he had. It's also constant stop and go driving as he stops to pick up the trash then takes off again. I still think it should hold up a lot longer than it does though.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:54 PM
codyselcamino
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Nope. 47RE won't mount up to anything but a V10 or diesel.
could the guts of a 47re fit in 46re case? if you could do that you would never have to worry about it again, i forgot i posted in this treat or i woulda posted this awhile ago

Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by codyselcamino
could the guts of a 47re fit in 46re case? if you could do that you would never have to worry about it again, i forgot i posted in this treat or i woulda posted this awhile ago
Yes they will, but other than the double wrap low/reverse band and stepped low/reverse drum there`s really no difference. Oh, the OD holds one more clutch as well and the OD direct pack has a few more clutches, but that`s about it. Even the 47RH/E has that retarded aluminum input planetary...

A good Borg-Warner rebuild kit uses thinner plates and makes up for the differences. Then just add a steel front planetary and a few other updates as well as a Trans-Go shift kit and it will hold just about anything an NA small block can throw at it.

Quick Reply: the best aftermarket transmission