2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Would love your opinion!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the 5.9L. It is not that hard to tune the computer on the OBD I trucks, it just isn't plug and play like the later trucks. Just send your computer to B+G and have them flash it or use a standalone engine controller. I plan on running MegaSquirt on my '94 when I can afford it, although its not that expensive im just in college.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not knowing exactly where the trucks are from or where you are it is hard to know what the truck has been subjected to (like salted roads in winter or ocean air by the coast). If you suspect rust repairs the only way to find out would be to look at the inside of the doors with the inner panel off. Bondo will be obvious, especially near the front corner, which is notorious for rust out on these trucks. Look at the underside real carefully as it is also a good indicator of what kind of climate the truck has been exposed to. Rusty axles, springs and undercarriage is a good sign that the body was probably just as rusty or that it wasn't well cared for.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:29 PM
theuntouchable
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But then how would I calibrate the speedometer on an OBD1 equipped truck?

Btw zje400ex... dude I LOVE your rims!! i was just looking at them over on Tire Rack. You got 18's?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:36 PM
theuntouchable

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Not knowing exactly where the trucks are from or where you are it is hard to know what the truck has been subjected to (like salted roads in winter or ocean air by the coast). If you suspect rust repairs the only way to find out would be to look at the inside of the doors with the inner panel off. Bondo will be obvious, especially near the front corner, which is notorious for rust out on these trucks. Look at the underside real carefully as it is also a good indicator of what kind of climate the truck has been exposed to. Rusty axles, springs and undercarriage is a good sign that the body was probably just as rusty or that it wasn't well cared for.
Seriously the trucks look to be in GREAT condition. Along with the unusually low mileage (unusual for these trucks since people usually hold on to them for quite a while and work em hard!) It's almost too good to be true which is what's bothering me!

The underside on both trucks, i saw absolutely nothing that worried me. The paint on the 97 just looked brand new to me, also the DODGE and 4x4 vinyls on the tailgate are gone (which would make sense if it was in for a new coat).

I doubt they would let me strip the doors to take a look like you said.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I'd be wary of low mileage on a truck outside the US. Laws here are pretty strict on odometer tampering and with things like CarFax you can find out the history, including mileage, of almost any vehicle. Saudi Arabia, not so much.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:59 PM
theuntouchable

I thought about that, that's why i have asked to see the original paperwork that came with the car when it entered the country. Every car that comes in has a certificate of origin with all the info (color, specifications, mileage etc..)

They should have them ready for me to see tomorrow so we'll see.
I just really want a Ram and I like the old 2nd gens.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 PM
jimmyp19

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Saudi Arabia, not so much.

can't explain why, but I found this really funny

Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 PM
yakkier
Banned

Dont rub it in ripley!!

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
i have a 95 with 199K, the rockers are rusted out, but the rest of the trucks paint is flawless and its original. look at my sig picture. its all original paint, and when waxed/polished, it looks like its brand new (aside from rockers). So i can be the original paint job.

Quick Reply: Would love your opinion!!