2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Substitute for shifter OD switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:32 PM
captainflight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Substitute for shifter OD switch

Just joined. I just bought a '98 1500 4x4. I bargained $1000. off the price then spent $850. to have it certified and tuned. It has the 318 engine and ss it turned out, they got 7 of the plugs out with some effort but the last plug broke off in the head and when they tried to extract it, the head cracked through to the water jacket. They got me a good used head but had lots of trouble with getting the distributor out and some of the intake manifold bolts were damaged as well. Looks like the plugs had been in for years and over tightened. Long story short, it's running great now but the overdrive switch is missing off the gear shift lever. Does anyone know if I can just wire a dash mounted switch in order to turn the overdrive off for towing purposes? Also is there a good shop maual availabe for this truck and how much are they worth? Thanks for reading this and any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Midnight Runner
Champion

You mite want to ask your question on the 2nd gen. forum. the guys can help you better over there and welcome to D.Forum.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the second generation Ram section,
FF

Old 02-11-2010, 02:00 PM
yakkier
Banned

Welcome to dodge forum, it's missing or did it not come with one ? and im pretty sure you could wire one in as long as you know what you're doing, goto the junkyard and search for a mid 90's ram mine has a push botton on the middle of the dash.

if it came with one and it's just been broken off do the same thing, goto the junkyard and find your model and just swap out the gearshifter.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have a pretty good Search function that can find answers to many questions. Welcome to DF and take a moment to fill out your profile info.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome to dodgeforum!

as for a service manual, try this: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram/41924-merry-christmas-guys.html

Quick Reply: Substitute for shifter OD switch