2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

pcm - asd ground question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:21 PM
jbomb
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcm - asd ground question

hey so my truck will just die and come back alive when driving very randomly. Or will just die at a stop light. I have changed every sensor and replaced the pcm. Also replaced the ignition switch. So I tested pin number 87 out of the asd relay. When the truck is off I touched the negitive of my multimeter to that pin and the positive to the positive of the battery and get 12.65 volts then touch both sides of the battery for reference and get 12.65 volts. All is good. But when the truck is running I put a jumper under the relay and get 13.26 volts while running battery reads 14.1 ! So the ground is weaker when running. So I added another jumper to a the wire going from the asd to the pcm to find where the bad connection is. Right outside of the connedction to the pcm it reads thesame. Tested the two grounds going into the pcm and they read 14.1. So just thinking out loud here it appears that my re-man pcm has a weak/ issue with the ground internaly. (I did think about adding a ground inline with this wire but held off for now)

Any thought I would like to not worry about breaking down on the hiway going to work monday.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:14 AM
jbomb
Veteran

was able to check a buddys ram today and his readings were the same as mine so I think the pcm ground to the asd is ok. But the pcm is getting some ramdom readings from somewhere that cause it to sut down. I drove over to the church parking lot to use the internet and it died on me when i came to a stop(dies when I come to a stop a lot of the time) So I plugged in my sct and it read no codes? I did not erase them sence last night. Is my pcm not storing them or is my battery feed or ground bad? will have to try to check.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:41 PM
jbomb
Veteran

Well my electrical problem keeps changing, throwing codes that are not listed, ect. so I am sending my pcm back and well see what happens.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:59 PM
jbomb
Veteran

well they got my pcm thursday night and they sent it back friday. The technichians had all left for the day by the time I had called after work so I hope they found something and this will end my problem. If not I have two more contatcs to call then If that does not work I will have to just buy another truck to swap my motor,tranny and rearend into.

Quick Reply: pcm - asd ground question