2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear End Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:47 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Advice

Hey, y'all! Ok, so my rear end started going out during the awkward time when you're making high payments AND you're having to fix stuff. I swapped with another rear end that I had around, to find out later it was a different ratio. I have the beast paid for now, so I want my 4X4 back. I went to a junkyard and bought a 3.55 ratio 'cause my build sheet said that's what I had. Guess what? Little did I know I actually had 4.10's. So now what? I'm gonna try to see if the junkyard will work with me on some of the money, and I'm thinking of rebuilding my old axle myself. Any thoughts? I also want advice on a good limited slip/locker. I was actually looking at the ECTED by auburn gear. Anyone try these yet? I drive hard, pull hard, and run her nearly daily. Thanks!!

Old 02-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't run a locker, but for a limited slip, I've been pretty happy with my Auburn, though I did have to replace it once after part of it broke. It was a known problem though, and the new one I have is the new design that took care of that issue. Been great so far.

The Detroit TrueTrac is probably the better designed limited slip though since it uses worm gears instead of cones or clutches. If my Auburn ever needs repalcing again, that is what i'm going to do with.
http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com/sh...ml/page44.html

Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Isn't this comparable to AMG's TORSEN diff used in the humvees? Looks promising.. The junkyard took a 25% restocking fee, and said I'd need an additional $300 for the 4.10. I took my old axle to a shop today. The dude there said the limited slip may have grenaded and the gears might be salvageable... any thoughts?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:14 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

BUMP..... I'm thinking of a detroit locker for the rear. Yes? No? The truck is already loud, but spends most of it's time on ashpalt. I was happy with my limited slip, though...

Quick Reply: Rear End Advice