2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

problems getting the transfercase to lock in

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:33 PM
bktaylor008
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems getting the transfercase to lock in

IM having a problem with my 1995 dodge ram 2500 to drop in to 4x4. it all started one day when i dropped it in and it went in smooth but when i went to take it out i wouldnt come out and when it did it made a popping noise and now it wont go back in at all it feels like its locked up. i can pull with everything i got and it wont move. i was talking to some dodge guys from around my area and they told me that it should be locked up just sounds like something is out of place in there not broke just not in the right spot. any input would be great. thanks

Old 02-20-2010, 11:08 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

Chances are, if you are pulling that hard you have bent your linkage. If this is the same as my 1500 with a 360, you will notice a rod on the left side of the T case from the shifter. The rod should be straight and not bowed like a banana. I found out pulling that hard is not a good "thang".

Does it go into low range by chance? If so your CAD is not engauging.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you put it in low or high range? I'll assume low range because you said you're pulling on it.
For low range, you need to have the transmission in neutral and be rolling at about 3mph, then do a firm shift without pausing in neutral. If it grinds then you can leave the transmission in neutral and shut the truck off, then make you shift and restart it.
For high range it can be in gear or in neutral and you can be stopped or rolling (up to 55mph).
If it doesn't shift stopped, then take your foot off the brake so you'll roll a little bit and try again.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:16 AM
bktaylor008

its a five speed if that makes a difference and in mine i have to pull straight back to go in to high and then over to the right and down to go in to low. i cant even get it to move in to high t wont move at all when i get the truck it had a bent linkage and changed it out . so i has a new replacement now.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:48 AM
quackaddict
Veteran

You should fill out your profile so when members read your posts they already know what kind of vehicle you have you will get more help that way. Welcome to DF!!

Quick Reply: problems getting the transfercase to lock in