2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Runs like crud cold, fine warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
blong4life
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs like crud cold, fine warm

Hello Folks,

Ok, 95 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Gas jobbie.

When I start the truck up cold, it backfires very badly, sounds like a popcorn machine, with an occasional bullet. When you press the Gas, engine just dies out, until the computer rraches about 170-175; then it runs like crap again. -- Does this until it warms up, once it's up too temp it runs great.

I am thinking it could be a computer; but before I shell out to buy one wanted to have some opinions.

Sucks having to wait 40 minutes before you can drive it; so any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by blong4life; 02-22-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that's kind of weird, usually its the other way around - ok cold and like crap when warm.

the popping and backfiring seems significant.
backfiring can be timing, but that's probably not your problem.
i wonder if it has an intake valve sticking open, firing back into the intake....

once warmed up, does it run ok ?
and does it recrank and run ok consistently ?

i would do a compression test when its warmed up and running right.
then do another compression test cold and compare results.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Resz

If you figure out that it is the computer, let me know because i can sell you mine for a lot cheaper than you'll get it elsewhere. Ive got the same 5.9L.

Best of luck

Last edited by Resz; 02-22-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't thinking computer. I was thinking of a sensor or controller. Pull or disconnect your O2 sensor and see what happens.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:26 PM
blong4life
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
that's kind of weird, usually its the other way around - ok cold and like crap when warm.

the popping and backfiring seems significant.
backfiring can be timing, but that's probably not your problem.
i wonder if it has an intake valve sticking open, firing back into the intake....

once warmed up, does it run ok ?
and does it recrank and run ok consistently ?

i would do a compression test when its warmed up and running right.
then do another compression test cold and compare results.
I was thinking it might be an intake valve sticking open, but when you hit the gas while it's doing this nothing happens, just pours gas down and you can smell it a good 100 yards; once warmed up, it runs mint. My other car is down right now, so I have been driving it like this for the past few days, it sucks.

Morning isn't too bad, I leave it in the heated garage all night but when I am at school ti sucks, gotta wait a good 30 minutes before I can leave.

If I get up early enough tommorrow morning I'll do a quick compression test, if not maybe tommorrow night, going to be snowing/raining otherwise I'd do it at school.

Recracks and starts within ~2-3 seconds cold.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:33 PM
blong4life
Professional

Originally Posted by Aubrey
I wasn't thinking computer. I was thinking of a sensor or controller. Pull or disconnect your O2 sensor and see what happens.
New MAP, IAC, TPS, Coil, and Crank Position. Recent tuneup, only thing not changed is the pickup coil

Will disconnect the o2; there was a code for it being lean in there, but it was doing that under normal driving conditions. Does have a gutted cat, was clogged up from the plenium, but I put a new gasket on (did a topend gasket kit when i changed my valves)

I am wondering if when I had the heads pulled one of the valves got some debree stuck in there; i through some MMO in there about 500 Miles but it's still doing it.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it doing this before you replaced all that stuff?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 PM
blong4life
Professional

PO replaced it all, I picked it up in the condition as it is, I fixed all the problems, this is my last one!

Well let me give you a re-cap.

When I got it, wouldn't run. PO diaged it as timing chain.

Replace timing chain, find broken valves when I messed it up. Replaced all the gaskets, valves, and pushrods. Got it back together, ran like crap. Diaged bad spark, changed Coil, ran better wouldn't idle. Diaged crankshaft position sensor; which is were I am now. Idles fine once warmed up, cold start after sitting for about 6 hours it does this. I've gone out sitting for about 5 from work, it ran fine (cold). Went out from school day, 6 hour day, had problems.

Last edited by blong4life; 02-22-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 PM
blong4life
Professional

I am starting to think the pick-up coil. It's advancing the timing ahead 40-50 degrees when it's cold, compared to 5-12 warm. I am going to pre-heat the pickup coil tommorrow morning, see if it fixes it. If not I am going to be running to my work next week and start messing with it with the DRB II.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:52 AM
quackaddict
Veteran

hope you get it figured out only thing I could think of was that it wants to be a diesel

I am learning a lot from this site about engines the fine details and what problems are signs of what keep up the good info guys.

Quick Reply: Runs like crud cold, fine warm