2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newby with a plenum question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:51 AM
imtriing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby with a plenum question.

I have enjoyed the knowledge I have gained from this site. It has given me the confidence to attempt a plenum gasket change, however while replacing the bolts for the plenum plate I sheared one off despite only trying to tighten to 24ft/lbs for first step. I did just buy a new torque wrench, so that may be my first mistake, but my true question is whether anyone has tried different bolts for this application. I have read where some write that the standard bolts are too long to properly torque down. I'm thinking the bolts in my truck my be TTY as the shank extends beyond the threads and the symbol on top is three dashes with a # underneath. Is it safe for a person to substitute say grade 5 bolts for this application. Also, I didn't get a clicking from my torque wrench, I didn't feel like I was pulling real hard, but was getting the bolt pretty snug. Is it possible to have a defective wrench? Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated as I am attempting to get my truck back together.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:21 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. You will want to post this in the section that pertains to your vehicle. I can move it for you if you tell me your year and model,
FF

Old 02-27-2010, 10:02 AM
imtriing

I drive a '99 Ram 1500, 5.9L. Thanks

Old 02-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Midnight Runner
Champion

Welcome to D.Forum.

Quick Reply: Newby with a plenum question.