2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering box bent?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Texanferever
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering box help

So I noticed a leak coming from the pitman arm seal. I got the new seals to fix it and after the pitman arm was off (PITA) I noticed that the cylinder or housing around the shaft was bent. I was able to get the first seal and the snap ring out, but the washer didn't have the clearance to come out. I tried to bend everything back in place and after the better part of two hours I decided to give up and planned on buying a rebuilt box. This morning I got to thinking what if I took off the plate on the top of the steering box to get the shaft out then I could get the washer and the other seal out. Then I would put the first seal back in, followed by the washer and snap ring. If the snap ring holds i should be able to put the shaft back in the top and put my last seal in and be done.

I just don't know if it all works together in reality as it does in my head...?

Last edited by Texanferever; 03-02-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:43 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

isn't that steering box a big hunk of cast iron? which doesn't bend..... it might break, but it won't bend.

give your disassembly idea a try. worst case is you have to go buy a reman unit after all. your core is still a core either way.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Texanferever
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand what you are saying about it being cast iron, but the one side somehow bent inward before I bought the truck and I was able to bend it back around the end of that housing closest to the pitman arm but couldn't get anything in there far enough to make the washer come all the way out.

I suppose either way I will be taking it off, and I guess we will see if a core is still considered a core if its in pieces.

Quick Reply: Steering box bent?