2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Royal purple isnt purple

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 PM
terranova
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal purple isnt purple

I checked my oil today. Used royal purple this time around (10W-30) I also used the K&N filter. I changed the oil about a month ago and when I put it in it was a royal purple (of course) but when I checked it today it was brown and smelt like gas. I could be wrong (my nose isn't exactly up to par today) but if there is gas in my oil I'm in deep s**t am I not? My oil level is the same as when I put the 6 quarts in.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:34 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

assuming you have ****load of years and miles on your truck, i wouldn't expect the oil to stay purple very long. it would pick up sludge pretty quick. i've never used an purple oil, but it might even turn dark just from heat.

if you really have a lot of gas in the oil, it would suggest your rings are a little loose. you could do a compression check to see what it reads. if you have one plug thats wet it might also point to a leaky injector dumping gas, or maybe a bad o2 telling pcm to make it rich.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:39 PM
terranova
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
assuming you have ****load of years and miles on your truck, i wouldn't expect the oil to stay purple very long. it would pick up sludge pretty quick. i've never used an purple oil, but it might even turn dark just from heat.

if you really have a lot of gas in the oil, it would suggest your rings are a little loose. you could do a compression check to see what it reads. if you have one plug thats wet it might also point to a leaky injector dumping gas, or maybe a bad o2 telling pcm to make it rich.
My truck only has 96k miles on it... I'm not sure if it is gas in the oil though. I checked my compression not to long ago and all 8 cylinders were roughly the same. I do need to replace my O2 sensors but I'm not sure what kind to get. One of my injectors does seem a little wet though. Not 100% sure if its gas though.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:23 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its more than likely not gas...really the only way for gas to get into the oil is through the cylinders i think. like dhvaughn said, through the rings. but if you already did a compression test, i wouldn't worry about it. and one big thing with using royal purple, it breaks loose a LOT of sludge and crap, which would probably be the reason that your oil is no longer purple...lol

Old 03-05-2010, 11:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Regardless, you will always have SOME blow by causing the oil to smell of fuel and combustion.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:44 AM
terranova
Professional

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Regardless, you will always have SOME blow by causing the oil to smell of fuel and combustion.
Should I maybe go ahead and do my oil again in a few weeks then? Get rid of the sludge and whatever impurities are there. Can I use some type of substance to help clean it out? I've heard people put sea foam in the oil pan, is that a good idea?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:56 AM
halfamil
All Star

Just a thought here. Will a bad plenum gasket let fuel in the oil? The Royal Purple will definetly clean you engine up, as any full synthetic oil will.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:41 AM
terranova
Professional

Originally Posted by halfamil
Just a thought here. Will a bad plenum gasket let fuel in the oil? The Royal Purple will definetly clean you engine up, as any full synthetic oil will.
I did my plenum with the Hughes plate last august.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Royal Purple says right on thier website that the oil will not stay purple. It's color is only a sales pitch and has nothing to do with the lubrication properties.
Taken from thier FAQ's on thier site:
Does Royal Purple maintain its purple color after it’s put into service?
No. The dye that’s used to color the oil dissipates shortly after being put into service. The color will turn brown at some point.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:51 AM
terranova
Professional

Originally Posted by Mega-Hemi
Royal Purple says right on thier website that the oil will not stay purple. It's color is only a sales pitch and has nothing to do with the lubrication properties.
Taken from thier FAQ's on thier site:
Lol! Awesome! Thanks for that bit of info. But I'm still concerned that it smelled like gas.

Quick Reply: Royal purple isnt purple