2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is my tranny shot??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:21 AM
mastergrader007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, I noticed the very last time it acted up, i stopped at the bottom of my driveway (large hill) then tried to start on the hill and it seemed like i had to give er alot of gas to get it moving forward. another thing i forgot to mention is that the times that i lost all forward gears, i still had reverse. the part that gets me is that I can drive it for a day and not have a problem, but then the next day it will act up. is it possible that the Previous owner had the wrong atf fluid in it???? cause i had the $15 dollar/4ltr stuff in my hand and the lady at the parts counter told me i needed the $30/5ltr atf+4 stuff.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 AM
gobbell1
Professional

To backflush your cooler lines...

a) disconnect both cooler lines from tranny
b) determine which line is outbound and which is inbound (I can't remember)
c) put the outbound line (from tranny to cooler) into a small bucket
d) spray trans flush into the inbound line (from cooler to tranny)

Doing this will remove any debris in your lines, including any crap that gets hung up by the check ball, which is located on the pax fender just behind the radiator.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:03 AM
bigjohnellinas
Rookie

Just a quick thought. Is this transmission a E or a H? If it is electric then check all of your connections because maybe some of the connections have come lose. When you hit a bump maybe if it is a bad connection it will come lose for a second and tell the computer to stop and that is why you have the periodic cutting in and out on random days. So just check the connectors for any looseness, check the fuse, also check the shifter on the column and where it connects to the trans for any unnormal play because that might be loose as well. maybe it gets knocked out of alignment when you hit a bump.

The fluid does play a big role in it as well. If it is the wrong fluid then it might not grab the clutches good (think of this on AUDI they need a special trans fluid that conducts static costs like $30/Q. so if you get the wrong fluid it wont work all that well) . But from the sound of it it is not the fluid or a mechanical problem like torque converter or internal because you would see the problem all the time but i could be wrong.Its hard to say without being there. Your best bet would be to check the electrical connections or shifter for any play.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:30 AM
mastergrader007

its been a couple days and it hasnt slipped at all yet. also, the CEL has went away. hopefully that is the end of it

Quick Reply: Is my tranny shot??