2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Very hard shifting into drive someone help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:33 PM
HankHill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Very hard shifting into drive someone help please

Hello everyone I'm new on this forum, I have a 2001 2500 ram 5.9magnum ext cab 6ft bed 4x4 auto trans, Whenever I shift from park to reverse or drive or from drive to reverse whatever it is the shifter is extremely hard to move, speedometer stayed at zero but then started to read accurate and rpms are not jumpy truck shifts smooth I cannot think of what this could be it has 89k miles, as far as the frozen speedo im thinking a bad VSS gonna check it tomorrow but I really want to know whats going on with the shifter, I thought I was going to snap the thing off the steering column it was that stiff somebody please chime in with ideas or whatnot thank you very much -Nicholas

Old 03-07-2010, 07:35 PM
yakkier
Banned

Have you checked an see if you lost a pin in the linkage on the driver side of the trans, that would explain the stiffness in manually shifting gears, as far as the speedo could be a faulty speed sensor causing that.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:38 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

get under neath and inspect your linkage cable. welcome to the forum

Old 03-07-2010, 07:39 PM
yakkier
Banned

Cowboy you get your **** fixed yet?

Old 03-07-2010, 07:56 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

yeah...... was the sensor in the trans......all better now......still a little sketchy shifting into OD every now and again for some reason, gonna do a trans filter and new fluid next weekend. today i got to put new wheer bearing, outer tie rod, u joint and brakes on my drvers side. well brakes on both sides....not just drivers lol

Quick Reply: Very hard shifting into drive someone help please