2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Antifreeze Smell When Heater Turns On?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might watch it, my ol' Furd pickup was puttin out like smoke or steam or something. Turns out it was leakin A/C coolant into the cab, glad I wasn't usin the A/C a lot when summer came around.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:24 AM
MagnumVP
Professional

Well either way it doesn't look like something that is going to be easy. I have read that it takes anywhere from 5-8 hours to replace it. However, there are a few people that said they did it in 2 hours total by going through the glove box area. Not sure how true of a statement that is with nothing to back it up.

Then I found this post with pictures that pretty much detoured me from doing it myself.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ater-core.html

Old 03-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumVP
Well either way it doesn't look like something that is going to be easy. I have read that it takes anywhere from 5-8 hours to replace it. However, there are a few people that said they did it in 2 hours total by going through the glove box area. Not sure how true of a statement that is with nothing to back it up.

Then I found this post with pictures that pretty much detoured me from doing it myself.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ater-core.html

I'd rather spend 8 hours doing it myself (like I did) rather than paying someone close to $1,000 to do it. You read that right. It's not a difficult job, just labor intensive.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:44 AM
MagnumVP
Professional

I would MUCH rather spend 14 hours doing it myself then having someone else do it. That is how I learn and it's fun in the processes. I just don't want to make anything else worse (steering column, AC, etc..). With all that work there is a lot of things that can go wrong. I do consider myself very mechanically inclined, however I may not have all the right tools needed to complete the project and that is VERY frustrating.

Right now I'm on the fence whether to do it myself or not. The service manual will help, but it is not very detailed and it would be nice to have a little more graphical images to help. I'm not a mechanic and some of the terms are unknown to me, so I have to try to figure out what they're referring to.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumVP
I would MUCH rather spend 14 hours doing it myself then having someone else do it. That is how I learn and it's fun in the processes. I just don't want to make anything else worse (steering column, AC, etc..). With all that work there is a lot of things that can go wrong. I do consider myself very mechanically inclined, however I may not have all the right tools needed to complete the project and that is VERY frustrating.

Right now I'm on the fence whether to do it myself or not. The service manual will help, but it is not very detailed and it would be nice to have a little more graphical images to help. I'm not a mechanic and some of the terms are unknown to me, so I have to try to figure out what they're referring to.
Study the DIY. I cannot emphasize that enough. As far as special tools -- none are needed. I was able to pull mine without disconnecting the A/C evaporator. Tricky, but can be done. That's why I said to plan for an entire weekend. All day Saturday to disconnect/remove everything, and then a matter of a couple of hours to button it up. While I was in there, I replaced all of the foam that's used to seal the ductwork. The DIY has plenty of pictures, which will give you an idea of what you're up against.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:50 AM
MagnumVP
Professional

Where is the DIY you are referring to?

I would also like to replace all the foam as well. I need the truck to last another 5 years or more. So far I keep it in great shape but I have never had to replace anything behind the dash.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:59 AM
seaham358
Rookie

I just had mine replaced for the same reasons your having. Good luck fixing it.
I am lucky and have a friend with a garage and he had one of his new mechanics do it for a good training project.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:00 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

I want a friend with a garage.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:48 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

I just called the dealership and a few garages around town. It's going to cost about $1000 to have it done. I can get the part online for $100. I might try it myself and take it slow and easy and hope I can get it done in 2 days time so my wife and kids have a truck to drive around in on Monday.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:51 AM
knowledge is free the job pays off's Avatar
knowledge is free the job pays off

99 dodge ram 5.9l blower motor works fine have to rig under dash for defrost just change water pump and new radiator a lil knowledge would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Antifreeze Smell When Heater Turns On?