2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: What Exhaust
Flowmaster Super 44
14.29%
Hi-Flo Cat With Straight Pipes
71.43%
True Dual Staight Pipes
14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Time To Make It Sound The Way I Want It

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010 | 10:05 PM
LegendKiller89
|
Captain
Cool Time To Make It Sound The Way I Want It

So in the next couple months I will be pulling the truck in the garage to do the bodywork and re-painting it. So before that I would like to get the exhaust done really nice. Obviously I'm looking for a powerful sound and it needs to be loud!!

Current exhaust:
Stock Manifolds - Stock Cat - Single In/Single Out Flowmaster Super 44 - 2 1/2'' pipe into 3 1/2'' Tips

Option 1:
Do something like 01DodgeRam360's old 01 Ram.
Pacesetter Long Tube Headers, No Cat, Y-Pipe into Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, will exit with 4'' tips either 18'' or 24'' long (Hedman) Exhaust will exit at an angle behind the tires.

Option 2:
Maybe throw some shorty headers on, hi-flow cat, and y pipe it. Angled out the back with 4'' tips.

Option 3: Screw it leave the manifolds on and run true dual straight pipes.

Okay here comes some questions. For option 2 - Would it be better to just forget the thought of shorty headers and put long tubes on? The only problem is, if I were to go with option 2 and put long tube headers on I would have 3'' exhaust into 4'' tips, how will that sound?

And this is moreorless for for option 1 - what would be the difference between running a si/so vs a si/do muffler?? I've always wanted to know what the difference was.

Let's here it guys! Tell me what you think!!

Old 03-09-2010 | 10:12 PM
Dixie Mudslinger
Veteran

i say the 44 flowmasters

Old 03-09-2010 | 10:40 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

pacesetter lontubes with the y-pipe and a cutout

Old 03-09-2010 | 10:50 PM
LegendKiller89
|
Captain

So let me get this straight. A cutout allows you to run a muffler but then you can flip it and it is like running straights right off the header/manifold??

Old 03-09-2010 | 11:49 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by LegendKiller89
So let me get this straight. A cutout allows you to run a muffler but then you can flip it and it is like running straights right off the header/manifold??

Yep. It goes headers, then Y-pipe, then cutout, then CAT (if your gonna use one), then muffler. So when it's closed, the exhaust is reverted through the muffler, when it's opened, it reverts the gases out right before the CAT or muffler. Basically open headers in a sence. And check out AeroTurbine for the muffler . Straight pipes I would'nt think would be beneficial because of backpressure. Especially with true duals. Gases need some backpressure to perform properly. I would go, and this is just my opinion, Pacesetter long tube headers, custom Y-Pipe, Exhaust cutout, High-flow CAT, AeroTurbine muffler, and dumped .

Old 03-10-2010 | 10:42 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

You probably don't want a high flow with straight pipes, the snapping/popping above 2000 rpm gets aggravating after a while.
Stock cat with straight pipes sounds pretty good.
High flow cat with a single glass pack sounds pretty good.
No cat and a super 44 sounds good also.

The first video is straight pipes with the stock cat and shorty headers (keep in mind that the 5.2 and 5.9l motors have a slightly different tone)
The second and third are with shorty headers, magnaflow cat and a thrush glass pack. and yes I know that there is a little exhaust leak toward the rear of the truck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-AzVA_-DGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyIOmTw0o64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuTvp7O97Q0

Quick Reply: Time To Make It Sound The Way I Want It