2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust Idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 01:51 AM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Idea

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...pe-43206_w.jpg This is my "Cali" spec setup, I know there are a few who run true duals off the two cats and delete the y-pipe .The third converter they show, i already hacked off , (unmonitored) , But I searched a little, prob not long enough , what size is the y-pipe? I'm thinking of cutting my Exhaust off right after the post cat 02 sensors and running true duals to Flowmaster 10 series then Dump em both, (i'll get the kids earplugs)<wife has DD for that, Seems simple enough idea.Will have to check for clearance, gas tank ,drivelines etc. Which size pipe should i go with from cat to mufflers 2.5 in? 2.25in? Suggestions? 3 in prob outta the question huh?

Old 03-14-2010, 03:13 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

3" would definitely be to large, you'd lose some low end.

For duals, unless you do some big stuff like a different cam, and/or supercharger, and/or etc., 2.25" should be big enough. Personally, I wouldn't go dual 2.5", but definitely don't do any more than that.

BTW, "true duals" means one pipe from each manifold/header, with two catalytic converters and two mufflers (or no mufflers and/or no converters). If its after the converter, its a "cat-back" system, or just "duals".

Old 03-14-2010, 06:46 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would agree, to run duals, no bigger then 2.25, 2.5 is pushin it, make sure the exhaust meets your states regs cause its no fun to have to change it cause its illegal... some states say it has to exit past the rear axle, some are after the cab, some say clear of the body... so find out what yours is, and abide by it...

Old 03-14-2010, 12:41 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

"True duals" I didnt know that,so duals it is, and as far Abiding by the laws "rules" that's no fun, to a certain extent. I'll check it out though.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:37 AM
SunhawkRam
Rookie

Did you dump the exhaust before the rear end? I had mine like that for a long time....it causes a nasty drone though

Old 05-20-2010, 02:57 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think if you have the cats on there it would be ok, just because i was running 2.5 with no cats with my longtubes , and then put highflows on to pass emmisions i gained alot of low end back... i was sad that i had to put cats on but when i gained power back i was a happy kid agian haha

Quick Reply: Exhaust Idea