2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

emergency brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 PM
corbin5754
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emergency brake

Im about to swap out rear ends on my truck just wondering if i can cut the emergency brake cable i dont need it and dont wanna mess with it will it be ok doing that...

Old 03-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Skab
Rookie

Emergency brake is how you can adjust up your rear brakes without crawling under the truck every time, you just step on the e-brake and release it a couple of times and it will move the star adjuster till it sets the rear brakes properly. That's if it's working properly, if you get in an accident and they find out you disabled your e-brake on purpose you could be in trouble.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:46 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

why would you adjust your rear brakes with your e brake.......are you serious.... it takes two second to get under the truck and use a screwdriver on the self adjuster. or just put the truck in reverse and hit the brakes....they usually self adjust on their own that way.

if your not going to use the e brake, then yeah you can cut it, but depending on where you are you need it to be in working order for inspection. i wouldnt suggest just cutting it.....it takes only a few minutes to hook it upright...... but its your call

Last edited by xxxcowxboyxxx; 03-24-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:08 PM
corbin5754
Rookie

The reason i just want to cut the cable is because it does not work inside the truck where you press the e brake pedal and the e brake light is on. For all i know ive been riding with the e brake and i dont know how to fix it. how can i release the e break if it is still engaged from under truck

Old 03-25-2010, 10:09 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

sounds like its stretched and just needs to be replaced

Quick Reply: emergency brake