2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I want to get high, but just how high can I go

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:36 PM
GC99RAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to get high, but just how high can I go

Alright guys,

Here we go. I got a 99 4x4 and I am wanting to get about 7 inches of total lift out of her. I know that I can get a Ruff Country (my hometown and I know these guys really well) 5 inch suspension lift and then get a 2 inch body lift for a total of 7 inches. My concerns are, when will I need to get extra length brake lines and everything else that might not come with the kit. I know that everything you need to lift you truck 5 inches will be included in the 5 inch kit, but the extra two inches may be the breaking point as far as all the other things like steering shaft, pitman arm and brake lines. I'm sure that there are other things that I'm forgeting. Can you guys shed some light on this?

Thanks a million!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:48 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

a body lift wont make you need brake line extensions, think about it.
Drop pitman arm should come with the 5" kit, it came with my 7" kit.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 PM
GC99RAM
Professional

Ahhh, didn't know that.. So I could safely do the 5 inch kit and everything that I need will be included with that kit and the 2 inch body lift will be fine without needing anything else extra. Sweet! Now I need to order the Super Swamper Thornbirds.. Yes!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

well i have the rough country 5 inch lift on my 99 and i will say that you will need a pitman arm which does not come with the kit.

Also new break lines are needed also, you may be able to get them to work with the 5 inch lift but you will be breaking one when flexing.

If you get the body lift It will come with a 2 inch extention for the steering shaft which you will have to weld in place, and the break lines will not be affected by the body lift.

I will not get into exact details but you will be running bigger tires so i would go with some new gears just to be safe and to keep the trans in good condition and a and a transfer case indexing ring .

Now as for the lift kit they sell for roughly 600-700 bucks on sale, so without gears you could easily lift the truck and have all the other parts for under $1000 which isnt to bad

Old 03-28-2010, 09:01 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

if you buy brake lines....go with stainless braided so you wont have to worry about them. make sure if your kit doesnt include these things you get them, sway bar brop brackets, drop pitman arm, control arms, possibly adjustable trac bar, and like stated above think seriously about re-gearing for them new big tires

Quick Reply: I want to get high, but just how high can I go