2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Easy 2wd low?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 AM
duped
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy 2wd low?

Hello I have a 99 ram 1500 with a 318 and five speed. I purchased a pretty decent sized boat last year and in normal driving this truck tows it just fine, but I do have a bit of trouble pulling the boat out of the water on steep launch ramps. The routine has been let the clutch out "briskly", smoke the tires on the wet ramp and slowing pull the boat out. Its the only way to not stall or bog down.

Now i've had the truck long enough to know the joys of changing front u joints, so using 4wd low for this is not an option. I would just love to have 2wd low ONLY to use on the launch ramps. It would be easier on equipment and me...

I guess im just curious if anyone has a simple way of stopping the front axle from engaging. Is there something I can do with the vacuum lines? If not I would assume that pulling the front drive shaft will make the transfer case leak? Can someone give pointers? Thanks!!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a posi-lock, remove and plug vacuum lines at the CAD, or remove the front drive shaft. Removing the front drive shaft will not cause a leak, the shaft attaches to a flange.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 AM
chromed95
Captain

so let me get this straight and maybe i've read it wrong...you don't want to use 4wd when you struggle to pull your boat up the wet ramp in 2wd? the way i see it is there are two options, find a less severe ramp to pull the boat up or use 4wd. I honestly don't think your going to harm anything when using 4wd to pull the boat up the ramp, so long as you don't turn real sharp in 4wd on the dry pavement. but again, maybe i read your post wrong?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 AM
EaRSh0T

why would the front drive wheel u joints go bad when pulling a boat outta the water??? as long as yr not turning an making a bind on the front steering it shouldnt make the ujoints fail. if it does make those fail then id like to know how and why......never heard of them failing cause your put it in 4 low....

Originally Posted by chromed95
so let me get this straight and maybe i've read it wrong...you don't want to use 4wd when you struggle to pull your boat up the wet ramp in 2wd? the way i see it is there are two options, find a less severe ramp to pull the boat up or use 4wd. I honestly don't think your going to harm anything when using 4wd to pull the boat up the ramp, so long as you don't turn real sharp in 4wd on the dry pavement. but again, maybe i read your post wrong?

beat me to it haha

Old 03-30-2010, 01:05 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion

dont know why you want to do this but If you have that much of a problem lower your tire pressure in rear tires and it will help imensely, and should keep from smoking tires

Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 AM
yakkier
Banned

or all else fails why not just disconnect the front driveshaft and put it in 4low, the transfercase will still engauge activating the 2lo in the rear and boom you're fine.

Unless im being a complete dip**** when saying this i dont see why it wouldnt work as long as the transfercase is still going, only difference is you wont have the fronts pulling while in 4x4 just have the rears.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:11 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

use 4 low. it won't hurt it. the wet tires will slip as needed.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:20 AM
MrRuckuss
Veteran

theres also that thing located by your left foot thats called the emergency brake, apply it fully, let the clutch out till you feel the truck start to pull then release the brake, also another option is use 2nd gear instead of 1st gear can't imagine that your pulling a 35' house boat up a 45 deg. boat ramp. how big of a boat is "decent sized boat"????

Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

whats wrong with using 4x4?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:18 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

In all honesty, driving your truck up and down the road in 2 wheel while pulling your boat to and from the launch is puting more wear on the front axle joints than driving 10 ft up a straight ramp in 4 lo.

Quick Reply: Easy 2wd low?