2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Aftermarket Halo Headlight install

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:23 AM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Halo Headlight install

So I put in some halo HID aftermarket headlights today in my 2001 ram.
The install went pretty smooth, the only thing that set me back some time was trying to figure out how to wire up the city lights and halos. After some checking with a voltimeter i decided on wiring the city lights into my oxygen sensor so they would stay on when the truck is running. I know a couple of people on here have bought these lights and had some problems with them with wiring issues but my install went fairly smooth. Im going to try and do a better detailed DIY than the instructions. Since i have already installed them it should be easier to do a detailed DIY so yall be looking for it soon. Anybody on here have these lights and how are they holding up? Anything I should know(adjusting,etc.etc.) Thanks again for your time and I will get some pictures up soon

Old 04-03-2010, 12:52 AM
GC99RAM
Professional

Does your truck still run well?

I don't think that I would use the oxygen sensor wires for anything but the oxygen sensors. Anything that could draw voltage from the readings of the oxygen sensors can throw your PCM into panic mode and give your PCM a false reading which in turn can deliver a wrong fuel strategy which can tear up your motor and cause the CEL to come on.

There are many different ways that you can wire those lights in safely and still function the way you would like them to. I would be careful about tapping into any sensor wiring being that they are voltage dependant and very sensitive to any voltage drop not to mention any noise that those lights may put off.... Just saying

Old 04-03-2010, 12:59 AM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

Sounds reckless, i know but after driving around almost and hour and a half a tank of gas everything is fine. I wired into the fuse box off of the oxygen sensor fuse. No CEL or any running issues. I will keep driving the **** outta her until work on monday and see how things go..

Old 04-03-2010, 01:07 AM
GC99RAM
Professional

Oh... LOL, I thought that you wired it directly into the O2 sensor.... Yeah, I think that will be ok, but I would really look into a different constant 12v source say like the radio + 12v line or something in that nature that is a constant 12v when the key is in the on mode or you can simply create your own with a relay and run directly off of the battery.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:12 AM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

this is a quick fix until next weekend. the I plan on doing the full relay on high/low beams and rewiring everything.I work second shift so Im just piecing it together until my next weekend so i can decide if i want brighter lights or not

Old 04-03-2010, 01:22 AM
GC99RAM
Professional

SWEET! We need to see pics of what these babies can do..

Old 04-03-2010, 06:46 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

what bulb? 6K, 8K, 10K?

Old 04-03-2010, 12:33 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

i believe they are 6k. To tell you the truth i didnt even look. i will prolly upgrade cause i cant leave well enough alone

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Halo Headlight install