2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Normal Operating Temp

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:44 PM
03neonSE
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
It wouldn't hurt to get the timing checked. I have battled issues with my truck running hot and argued here with people telling me to install a 180º thermostat that it wouldn't do me any good. It turns out that my truck is running 19.7º advanced timing, meaning it's an issue with the PCM.
I don't have a Haynes manual do to the fact they leave out some stuff the FSM does have. I don't have a FSM yet but how do you check the timing? Can it be adjusted? It was yesterday that the truck was at 240! Never was like that before.

Originally Posted by jamesnb
I run the OEM recommened 195 thermostat and it doesn't get near that hot, even in the summer in Texas.
I could be wrong but if the thermostat fails, it fails open meaning coolant will always be running through the system and it will take it longer to heat up.
I encourage you to get this addressed ASAP, meaning before you do any towing. If it's overheating, something is wrong and a cooler thermostat isn't going to fix it. If you don't address it you're risking serious damage.
Set aside a day and do it right. Drain the coolant from the block, flush the system, replace the thermostat and antifreeze (70% antifreeze-30% distilled water), and change the radiator cap. And by flush, i don't mean just run the garden hose through it for a little while. There are better ways but the Prestone Flush should do a good job. If you can work it into the budget, change the hoses (probablly $60) and water pump ($60) while you're at it.
Also, make sure you remove any debris in the radiator fins, that can cause it to run hot.
Seriously, make this a piroirty. I didn't 15 years ago and it was an expensive mistake.
I plan on doing it ASAP. I have never done a coolant flush and never heard of Prestone Flush. Have you use it?

Last edited by 03neonSE; 04-06-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They sell it at pepboys thats where my dad picked mine up from. I need to do mine as well.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be your radiator is stopped up in a few places, i couldnt tell you how many dodge radiators ive changed because of this. but the thermostat is a good start.

if that doesnt do it, I would just replace the radiator, it should only run about $150.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 03neonSE
I don't have a Haynes manual do to the fact they leave out some stuff the FSM does have. I don't have a FSM yet but how do you check the timing? Can it be adjusted? It was yesterday that the truck was at 240! Never was like that before.

The timing on these trucks is controlled by the PCM and cannot be adjusted. Follow everyone else's advise about flushing, checking for blockages and all that first. You'll have to find a shop that has a DRB Scan Tool, which can monitor the truck's computer functions with the engine running. Only then will the timing be known. It's a small expense, but something I look at as being cheap insurance before tearing into everything like replacing radiators, water pumps, and the like.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 PM
03neonSE
Veteran

I figured it can'tbe adjusted. I will be doing the coolant flush and t-stat tomorrow. The truck needs a good running, been driving it in the city since i've bought it in Febuary. I have my oppertunity (sp) this weekend to go to Maryland so it's a priority to get it done. I will post the outcome of it.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:38 PM
jamesnb
Professional

I plan on doing it ASAP. I have never done a coolant flush and never heard of Prestone Flush. Have you use it?
Prestone makes a solution that helps flush all the crap out of the cooling system. They also make a kit that has some clamps and fittings that is supposed to back flush the system and make burping the air from the system easier.
I've never used the kit. I used their flush solution a couple of times over the past 30 years. I usually use some "Shout it Out" laundry cleaner and citric acid if I don't know the history of the vehicle.
The Prestone Super Flush should be fine. The instructions should be on the bottle. Drain the system (radiator **** and the engine ****). Take out the old thermostat. Refill with tap water and the flush (leave the thermostat out for now). Run the engine for 30 mins; let it cool down; refill with tap water; run the engine for 30 mins and drain again. One rinse may be enough but I'd keep rinsing until it comes out clear. Leaving the thermostat out of the system saves time by letting water run through the system right away.
I recommend distilled water that way you know the pH is 7 and there's not a lot of calcium or other ions.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 PM
03neonSE
Veteran

I'll be doing this at a buddy's shop and its city water. I don't know what the pH level is or if it has calcium. I have a 2001 RAM FSM on my computer and it tells me that there is a drain plug on the drivers side of the block. My truck is a 96. Is there a drain plug on the bottom of the block? Reason why I ask was that when crawled under neath the truck, I seen a bolt by the starter on the bottom of the block but between the FSM and my truck, the bolt is in 2 different places but its the only bolt on the bottom of the drivers side block. Anyone can comfirm that this is a cylinder block drain plug?

Last edited by 03neonSE; 04-06-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Ram_Me
Captain

I also have a 96, your drain plug is at the bottom driver's side corner of the radiator. It is a black plastic wingnut that you should be able to turn with your fingers alone.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 AM
03neonSE
Veteran

I was talking about the coolant drain plug on the block, not on the radiator.

edit: I have found it...https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-question.html

Last edited by 03neonSE; 04-07-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 PM
jamesnb
Professional

I was talking about the coolant drain plug on the block, not on the radiator.

edit: I have found it...https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-question.html
That's the plug you need to remove (as well as the radiator plug.

I'll be doing this at a buddy's shop and its city water. I don't know what the pH level is or if it has calcium. I have a 2001 RAM FSM on my computer and it tells me that there is a drain plug on the drivers side of the block. My truck is a 96. Is there a drain plug on the bottom of the block? Reason why I ask was that when crawled under neath the truck, I seen a bolt by the starter on the bottom of the block but between the FSM and my truck, the bolt is in 2 different places but its the only bolt on the bottom of the drivers side block. Anyone can comfirm that this is a cylinder block drain plug?
I don't know what the tap water is like in PA. I'm sure it's fine for flushing but when you mix the antifreeze with water, I'd you distilled water. If you don't clean your shower for a few weeks, does it get white spots or rust spots?
Distilled water is cheap about $1/gal or you can use the 50/50 premixed stuff. I just prefer 70% antifreeze/30% water. The capacity of the 2001 cooling system (assuming you completly drain the block) is 5 gallons. That's 3.5 gallons of antifreeze and 1.5 gal or water.
Are you going to be able to do the hoses and water pump as well?
Maybe someone can chime in with how much life is left in a '96 water pump.

Quick Reply: Normal Operating Temp