2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Catalitic converter removal: pro's vs.cons

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One Con is that it could be illegal to permanently remove the cat in your city/county/state.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 AM
bseeton1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have read that it sounds bad just gutting it ith muffler behind? I had also heard of plugs for the end of your sensors that have the resistance or components to keep your PCM thinking straight. Any further info as well as how you guy are doing on mpg now would be help full. I'm in ca now but I live in ok so all I need is a dis/reputable shop to fix me up....

Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bseeton1
Have read that it sounds bad just gutting it ith muffler behind? I had also heard of plugs for the end of your sensors that have the resistance or components to keep your PCM thinking straight. Any further info as well as how you guy are doing on mpg now would be help full. I'm in ca now but I live in ok so all I need is a dis/reputable shop to fix me up....

IIRC, in Oklahoma it's a $25,000 fine for a shop to remove your cat. Yes, I live in Oklahoma. Good luck with that

Old 04-07-2010, 06:26 PM
niceandeasy
Professional

i have a flowmaster. if i gut the cat would it make a poping noise like a glass pack. i hate the popping noise

Old 04-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a cherry bomb glasspack and gutted cat, mine doesn't pop.... It drones a little at ~2 grand, but I like it and try to keep it in that range

Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 PM
niceandeasy
Professional

new to dodges i know chevys are bad for poping with no cats

Old 04-07-2010, 11:13 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my O2 sensor ziptied under my truck to the tranny had it like that for a year no codes ever for the sensor, had the truck completly covered with water to the point that I got water in my tranny harness and caused a misfire on a cylinder, and still no code so I would say I will never get one.(If you want a pic of mine just say the word and I will post it)

This relates to the post cat O2 only the precat O2 sensor must stay in the exhaust and not having a cat doesnt affect it, I dont have a popping problem and my brother's chevy doesnt pop either has to do more with the muffler

Quick Reply: Catalitic converter removal: pro's vs.cons