2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck runs rough after a Spark Plug Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Cheat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldnt hurt to index them. Thats where you take the open part of the spark plug and face it at the valve. Dont over tighten them. the just need to be facing in the 10-2 o'clock position. this can be done with a certain type of washer. But ill have to find the article tomorrow on it.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:47 AM
SawFan862
Amateur

I bought Autolight Double Platinum Plugs. I did each pug one by one so I wouldnt mix up wires, but I will go back and check them all, I think Im going to try and replace all the wires today, to ensure all the wires are good, plus they look like they could be replaced.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions with my problem.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:53 AM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by SawFan862
I bought Autolight Double Platinum Plugs. I did each pug one by one so I wouldnt mix up wires, but I will go back and check them all, I think Im going to try and replace all the wires today, to ensure all the wires are good, plus they look like they could be replaced.

Check all your wires real well, I was doing work under the hood and ended up knocking one against eh exhaust manifold and melting one.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SawFan862

The Autolite plugs seem to be hit and miss with people here. I tried the Autolite (non-platinum) which resulted in poor acceleration and a misfire on #5. I went back to stock Champions, and it runs like a top. Changing the wires isn't going to do any good, IMHO. The plugs changed, which is causing the problem. This is like installing new carpet in the living room after you replaced the garage door opener.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:15 PM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
The Autolite plugs seem to be hit and miss with people here. I tried the Autolite (non-platinum) which resulted in poor acceleration and a misfire on #5. I went back to stock Champions, and it runs like a top. Changing the wires isn't going to do any good, IMHO. The plugs changed, which is causing the problem. This is like installing new carpet in the living room after you replaced the garage door opener.
Not exactly true there, You had to pull the wires off to get the plugs, you can easily mess them up. Change them out. it cost ~20 bucks and takes about 10 min.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JackJ
Not exactly true there, You had to pull the wires off to get the plugs, you can easily mess them up. Change them out. it cost ~20 bucks and takes about 10 min.

What is "mess them up"? Do you mean "installed incorrectly"? If so, that's true, but the first course of action is to determine the root of the problem and not just swapping parts hoping to cure the problem. That's what's wrong with 90% of the advice given on this and most every other automotive forum. Someone posts a problem encountered after a repair issue and then someone else suggests swapping out more parts in order to fix the original problem rather than both parties working out a diagnosis of the original problem.

It's also quite comical to watch as some hapless schlep turns a low-dollar job into a major wallet-draining project all for naught.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:46 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the Plugs back out and check each one for cracks, do this one at a time so you dont get wires crossed, if they all check out good put them back in torqued to spec and make sure you properly seat the wire on the plug and see if that solves the problem you might have messed up a wire taking it off or just not put one all the way back on.

And yes it easy to mess up plug wires if your in a rush or not paying attention I broke one of mine ripped the metal end off the wire ended up using a wire laying around the garage

ps. when you take the plugs out and check them redo the gap

Old 04-20-2010, 02:58 PM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
What is "mess them up"? Do you mean "installed incorrectly"? If so, that's true, but the first course of action is to determine the root of the problem and not just swapping parts hoping to cure the problem. That's what's wrong with 90% of the advice given on this and most every other automotive forum. Someone posts a problem encountered after a repair issue and then someone else suggests swapping out more parts in order to fix the original problem rather than both parties working out a diagnosis of the original problem.

It's also quite comical to watch as some hapless schlep turns a low-dollar job into a major wallet-draining project all for naught.

I not giving misleading advice I am not telling him to replace a $500 part or do some stupid crap. I have to deal with that at work and I won't do it here. If you go back and read my posts where I gave my .02 on an issue you will see that what I say is usually the cheaper fix.

I ran into almost the exact same problem not 6 months ago when I put my round air cleaner on, I had knocked my number one plug wire onto the exhaust manifold and melted through it causing a misfire. When you yank off plug wire 99% of people don't pull them off correctly and yank the wire not grabbing the boot, doing this can break the element inside or bend or break the conector in the boot itself especialy if the wires are older. Hell even cracked insulation on a wire can cause disruptive electrical flow thus causing a misfire. If you have not realized it yet I am saying REPLACE the wires if they are damaged, or suspected damage.

Last edited by JackJ; 04-20-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:36 PM
SawFan862
Amateur

The plugs were old Mopar ones, so they are replaced/ So what plugs should I use? I have a check engine for random misfires. Which included 7 and 8 specifically.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Make sure the wires are pushed down on the plugs tightly. You will feel a pop when it clips on to the spark plug. If they are not on all the way, then it will not have a good connection.

Quick Reply: Truck runs rough after a Spark Plug Change