2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Won't Crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:45 PM
hj5150
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Won't Crank

Weirdest thing appears to be going on. A month ago, I shut off the engine and do some shopping. About 30 min later I get in an turn the key on and nothing. My interior lights work, my headlights work, my stereo works, my fan works but when I turn the key. . . nothing. No crank. Not even an attempt. I turn everything off except an interior light, and watch it as I try to start the engine. Nothing. The interior light doesn't even go dim. It remains nice and bright. I get out and pull off a battery cable, wait a few min and replace and wallah, it starts just fine! I chalk it up as a one time freak failure.

A month later. . . same thing happens. However, this time just pulling the battery cable off and on doesn't do the trick. I ended up pulling all the fuses and the relays in the engine bay off and then on. I did this a few times including the battery cables and finally after several minutes it finally started. . . and has been starting flawlessly for a few days. (I use my truck every day)

I have a fairly new battery, & clean terminals. I do have a manual tranny and during the no crank issue, I repeatadly pumped the clutch to possibly re-activate the clutch start safety switch. Also, no codes are showing up.

I'm running out of ideas on what's the cause of this intermittent failure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
---H

Old 04-20-2010, 05:50 PM
ophidia
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the linkage out of adjustment (for the shifter). Try smacking up on the shift lever or putting it in neutral next time to see if it starts. This is my truck's new trick as well.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:11 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

could be neutral safety switch, you can play with park/neutral and the edges of their stops to see if that helps.

also try tapping on the starter with a hammer. sometimes that helps.

next get more technical with a voltage tester and see if you've got power flowing through the starter solenoid relay stuff in the pdc, and see if power is getting to the starter solenoid (small wire) and the starter motor (big wire).

it might be starter time. if all else fails, you can remove it and bench test it, or take it to an autozone type place and they'll bench test it for free. bench test is to simply apply 12 volts to the solenoid and the starter and not let it jump off the bench.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:02 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

check grounds around engine, ive seen one be loose especially over ps pump and wont crank.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:16 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Sounds like the starter is starting to go, thats what happend with mine. Get it tested

Old 04-21-2010, 01:27 AM
yakkier
Banned

Agreed on both, My 1st gen ram you cant start unless it's in neutral.

Also could very well be the starter, make sure the positive wire isnt curroded or broken off or loose for that matter.

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
could be neutral safety switch, you can play with park/neutral and the edges of their stops to see if that helps.

also try tapping on the starter with a hammer. sometimes that helps.

next get more technical with a voltage tester and see if you've got power flowing through the starter solenoid relay stuff in the pdc, and see if power is getting to the starter solenoid (small wire) and the starter motor (big wire).

it might be starter time. if all else fails, you can remove it and bench test it, or take it to an autozone type place and they'll bench test it for free. bench test is to simply apply 12 volts to the solenoid and the starter and not let it jump off the bench.
Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
Sounds like the starter is starting to go, thats what happend with mine. Get it tested

Old 04-21-2010, 08:33 AM
hj5150

Great responses, thank you.

Quick Reply: Won't Crank