2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Dodge Ram swaps

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 05:11 AM
Digital69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Dodge Ram swaps

Ok since I am moving out of Cali and into the free land of Nevada I want to do a few swaps on my 97 dodge club cab 4x4 with 5.9.

First off the motor is getting tired and sure I could rebuild the 5,9 but I think the truck is wanting a Hemi. Yes I know most would be looking for a I6 but thats money I don't have ...

Has anyone done a 5.7 swap into a 2nd gen? how was it? I think whats scaring me the most is the wiring. I tried to search to see if I could find a swap harness but nothing so far.

I also have a issue with my axels and brakes. I like to upgrade the 1/2 ton crap but since I am not towing a mountain across the plains I am pretty sure a hd 44 and a 60 in the rear would do just fine. I do not plan on going more than 37 inch tires and I would love to keep 16inch rims

I like how the 2003+ 2500's have rear disk and dual piston front disk brakes. The other cool thing is they also have a Hemi .

Now I am going to be looking for a wrecked truck and take all the drive/power trains out. I have been searching but haven't found anyone who has done a 3rd gen into a 2nd gen truck. Will this be a pain?

I know some areas like rear leaf mounts will need to be addressed with some wielding but how is the rest? Does anyone know could I get lucky as hell and swap cabs with out doing major work?

I know this is a lot of work but around here the hemi isn't cheap and I like my truck. Deep down I hope the gen 3 uses same cab mounts and I can just swap and drive off but thats why I am here asking you guys.

Also I understand the frame of the 1500 is not as great as the 2500 and if I can not direct swap I will be doing things like boxing etc. But again wrecks here are a dime a dozen and I like to get one and rebuild the motor and trans before driving off.

Thanks guys.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:11 AM
Digital69

no one?

Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Digital69
Ok since I am moving out of Cali and into the free land of Nevada I want to do a few swaps on my 97 dodge club cab 4x4 with 5.9.

First off the motor is getting tired and sure I could rebuild the 5,9 but I think the truck is wanting a Hemi. Yes I know most would be looking for a I6 but thats money I don't have ...

Has anyone done a 5.7 swap into a 2nd gen? how was it? I think whats scaring me the most is the wiring. I tried to search to see if I could find a swap harness but nothing so far.
You'd also have to swap transmissions, as the 46RE will not bolt up to that Hemi. You'd have to swap over all the sensors, all the wiring, the computer, do some custom engine mounts, custom tranny mounts, etc. etc.

I like how the 2003+ 2500's have rear disk and dual piston front disk brakes. The other cool thing is they also have a Hemi .
The front discs in a 2000 and 2001 are also better than the other 2nd gens, dual caliper I believe.

Now I am going to be looking for a wrecked truck and take all the drive/power trains out. I have been searching but haven't found anyone who has done a 3rd gen into a 2nd gen truck. Will this be a pain?
Yes.

I know some areas like rear leaf mounts will need to be addressed with some wielding but how is the rest? Does anyone know could I get lucky as hell and swap cabs with out doing major work?
Won't fit. You'd need to do major body work/modifications to get them to swap.

Not a whole lot that is swappable between the 3rd gens and the 2nd gens, sorry.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:16 AM
Digital69

Oh well.. I like your truck Same as mine blue/silver...

I don't mind doing the trans too but the motor mounts being different pretty much kills it.

I guess I find the hd 44 with duel piston calipers and then a Dana 60 in the rear. I will just build the 5.9

Old 11-23-2010, 02:03 PM
DDIRI
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Just to let you know I have been working on swapping a hemi into my 2nd gen it is a 97. The trans mount works no real modifications there except you have to notch to grooves a half an inch more. wiring is scarier than you think. I didn't have to touch my cross member I did a remote oil filter and you can buy the motor mounts for the swap online. It is work but it isn't as hard as most people make it out to be. If you have any questions let me know. or check out my thread I have been bad about updating as of late but this weekend I should get some updates in.

Quick Reply: 1997 Dodge Ram swaps