2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine swap help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010 | 12:35 PM
robsupra1
|
Default Engine swap help

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 v6 five speed transmission. i am wanting to pull out my v6 and drop in a stock 318 v8. I know i will need the motor, a new wireing harness, and a new ecu but othere than that will i have any problems? will my stock 5-speed trans bolt right up? will i have to modify the v8 wiring harness to make it work with anything in my factory v6 truck? are motor mounts the same? will ecu from automatic 318 work with a 318 and my manual trans? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-26-2010 | 03:14 PM
PistonPete123
Amateur

the trans will bolt up but you will need the flywheel for a v-8 manual trans, that is what the crank positioning sensor reads, the v-6 has 6 holes, the v-8 has 8, also, the 318 flywheel is different than the 360 (360 has weights on it). you can use your wiring harness from the v-6, just add two more injectore plugs. try to find a comp. from a v-8 manual truck, but i have heard you can take one from an auto and have it flashed for a manual, I have a auto comp. in my truck and it is throwing codes for the auto trans junk that isn't there, but it still runs and drives.

Old 04-27-2010 | 10:17 AM
robsupra1
|

How could i add extra injector plugs?

Old 04-28-2010 | 04:17 PM
PistonPete123
Amateur

I got my harness with the engine, so I had no prob. with my swap, I just did a little research and the magnum engines have sequential fuel injecion so it looks like you will need to find a v-8 harness,you can't add another couple injector, sorry, but there are alot of dodge v-8 engine in the junk yards right now because of the cash for clunkers and haresses are cheap. You will also need a fan shroud from a v-8 truck

Old 04-28-2010 | 05:50 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by PistonPete123
I got my harness with the engine, so I had no prob. with my swap, I just did a little research and the magnum engines have sequential fuel injecion so it looks like you will need to find a v-8 harness,you can't add another couple injector, sorry, but there are alot of dodge v-8 engine in the junk yards right now because of the cash for clunkers and haresses are cheap.
If your junkyard lets you buy just a harness. I called up my big local one once looking for some harnesses for my injectors, and the guy refused to sell them to me. More than that, he started getting pissed off at me for asking him to "tear up a perfectly good engine" just for a few wiring harnesses. Doesn't matter what sort of customer service place you are at, the customer shouldn't be telling the salesman to calm down. I was willing to pay for the whole set, harnesses, wires all the way to the PCM, all of it. In the end he stopped refusing, and told me something along the lines of how much labor it'd take to pull those harnesses out, and that for the whole set it would be hundreds of dollars.

If you get someone like that, don't do what I did, and hang up. Ask for the guy's manager.

Quick Reply: Engine swap help