2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Soo..if it isn't the plenum, then...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:24 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rideordie
No, except for two seperate times I had a CEL go off for a misfire on (I believe) cylinders 1 and 2, but it's only gone off twice since I bought the truck (2 months ago), so I didn't think much of it.
That is the injector connectors. If an injector does not have the metal clasp, it will be a missfire every time. I had the same problem because i changed injectors and lost some retaining clips:

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...=&partid=24955

Best 11.95 you will ever spend.

Also, make sure the wires are routed correctly:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...lug-wires.html

Make sure the wire going from the coil to the dstributor is along the galley between the intake and head.

--Dan

Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can see that there is no oil in the intake with the tb open you are not going to all of a sudden see it with the TB off. You see the same basic area. Bottom line is if there is no oil, then the plenum is not blown or it just blew and has not sucked much oil in yet. It would have to have been really recently because they get covered in oil quick.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:36 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine looked fine, just a very light sheen of oil until everything was torn off. I had half a quart sloshing in there.

Your plenum gasket is blown, or will blow. All 1994-2001 Dodge Magnum engines have this issue, and all get it really early on. People just don't notice it until it gets really bad. Since you have the parts, if you have time, you should go ahead and perform the "repair". Consider it preventative maintenance if you don't believe me that its blown. My two cents.

The "looking down the TB" test is hit or miss. Gerehead, how can you say you see the same basic area? With the TB off, you can see a lot more area inside the intake manifold.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:37 PM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
PM hemifever and he will make you a good tune for 100 dollars. He will make a customized timing table.

But it is probably the plenum gasket. Taking off the throttle body is not a "tear down" It is a good saturday morning job.

THat is a good chance to take it completely off and blast it with some TB cleaner.

130K miles...it is blown.
If it were blown, I would think I could see at least SOME oil through there, without taking the entire TB off and looked at it (which seems like a waste of time to me if there's no sign of any buildup).

Why get a custom tune?

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
That is the injector connectors. If an injector does not have the metal clasp, it will be a missfire every time. I had the same problem because i changed injectors and lost some retaining clips:

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...=&partid=24955

Best 11.95 you will ever spend.

Also, make sure the wires are routed correctly:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...lug-wires.html

Make sure the wire going from the coil to the dstributor is along the galley between the intake and head.

--Dan
I've only had it happen two times in two months though, and it runs good. Wouldn't that make it throw a CEL pretty frequently?

Edit:

Jason, if it were blown, wouldn't there be at least SOME oil in it? like you said, even just a slight layer of it? I can literally see complete bare metal. It's spotless. Not trying to argue, I just do not have a lot of money to throw around and I don't want to do repairs that aren't necessary.

Last edited by rideordie; 05-02-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:49 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by rideordie
Jason, if it were blown, wouldn't there be at least SOME oil in it? like you said, even just a slight layer of it? I can literally see complete bare metal. It's spotless. Not trying to argue, I just do not have a lot of money to throw around and I don't want to do repairs that aren't necessary.
But I thought you said you already ordered and had the parts in hand? And I thought you and a buddy/buddy's dad were going to do the work? I just see time, I don't see any extra money being thrown around.

It doesn't pool at all in the center, not really a "layer" at all. It pools around the edges, where light doesn't like to go due to the constraints of trying to look/shine a flashlight down the TB.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

To the OP...
Years ago, when Dodge recognized there was an issue, the engineers at Ma Mopar came up with a nifty way to test your plenum gasket. If you have access to a vacum guage, and a couple hose plugs or can make them. This will validate whether you have a plenum leak or not. BTW you'll not want to exceed the recomended vacum, or you WILL likely blow the plenum!

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm

Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by jasonw
But I thought you said you already ordered and had the parts in hand? And I thought you and a buddy/buddy's dad were going to do the work? I just see time, I don't see any extra money being thrown around.

It doesn't pool at all in the center, not really a "layer" at all. It pools around the edges, where light doesn't like to go due to the constraints of trying to look/shine a flashlight down the TB.
Well, I do have the parts right now, and I am going to do it myself, but I can still return them, and it'd be nice to have that $150 back if I don't need to put it towards the plenum now.

I'm sure if it isn't bad now, it probably will be in the future, but I don't know if I want to do it right now if it doesn't need it. There's other things I could put the money towards, like my body work for example.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:06 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'd take care of one issue at a time. You have the parts, I'd use them. Like I said, I didn't think my gasket was blown either, until the manifold came out and there's the oil.

However, it is your truck, your parts, and your $$$. Use them how you wish, I won't hold it against you. I just don't want you to go to all this troubleshooting over the pinging and not being able to locate the problem if the problem is indeed some oil from a blown gasket.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:18 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if its pinging - its sucking air !!
i'd put in the hughes plate.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:04 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The injectors will misfire and it will be very infrequent. As the motor moves it can have a good/bad connection at no particular time.

Also, you could have a bad timing chain. 130K, it will have slack in it. And if your timing chain is not tip top, it will run badly when you use a tuner.

Tuners are meant for vehicles that have ZERO problems.

Quick Reply: Soo..if it isn't the plenum, then...