2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re problem need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Rhysell07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re problem need help ASAP

the transmission in my truck was redone about 16000 miles ago and the trans temp light and over drive off light keep coming on even when im not bein that hard on it i thought the tranny cooler was to small and that was part of the problem but now its still happening the cooler is rated for 28,000 gvw i dont know what the issue is and desperatly need to find out before the ultimate destruction of my clutch packs happens any info or ideas would be helpful and much apreciated either reply to this or email hysell_ryan@hotmail.com

Note that it does not slip when going in to gear or when shifting and it has the incorrect throttle return spring on it (just found that out from previous owner).

Last edited by jasonw; 05-05-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I fixed it for you, but just so you know, rather than double posting, you can go back and edit your post and add info if you forgot to do it the first time. No biggy, just FYI.

I'd wait for MonteC to come in here. He is our resident tranny expert, knows these things backwards and forwards and sideways. When the tranny was rebuilt, what kind of warranty did it come with? Are you sure the previous owner didn't pay dirt cheap for a hack-job rebuild just so he could get rid of it?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Rhysell07

ya i know the guys that rebuilt it ive had them do work as well the only problem is the warranty doesnt transfer people thanks for the edit

Old 05-05-2010, 09:27 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the cooler lines running through the radiator and then into the cooler?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 PM
txdug

not much to add, finally had mine rebuilt by local shop, I asked them why the dodge 'rebuild, rebuild, repair' didnt hold up past 40k miles, the answer made sense for the 46 re, they said, what parts did dodge put in it? i said 'dodge parts' and they said mmmhmmm... :-) got another 40k on my 'new' rebuild and it seems to be doing well....

Old 05-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Rhysell07

Originally Posted by MonteC
Are the cooler lines running through the radiator and then into the cooler?

no they run into two seperate coolers that total about 32 000 gvw in cooling power

Old 05-08-2010, 07:48 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Rhysell07
no they run into two seperate coolers that total about 32 000 gvw in cooling power
What type of cooler? Im thinking you might have a plugged cooler or cooler line.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Rhysell07

hmm considering how the cooler is brand new i dont know about that but it could be a cooler line or maybe the other cooler they are both after market coolers. what do you think about the torque converter reving up a few hundered rpms when it locks also it has a throtle return spring from a diesel which is the incorrect size not sure if that would make it over heat or not but if i just leave it in drive it doesnt shift right where i want it to like it shifts to early and if i go to pass someone it will kick down two gears instead of just droping over drive

Old 05-11-2010, 10:48 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Well that sounds like a valebody calibration issue. A Sonnax sure cure would take care of the bad shift timing.

Quick Reply: 46re problem need help ASAP