2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cheapest way to create some extra horse???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Fastman throttle body (instead of "poor man's")
Curious if you believe that DIY porting the throttle body does or doesn't help. The reason I ask as I was planning to go the DIY route myself knowing that it wouldn't be quite as good as the "Fastman" throttle bodies since I wouldn't be going to a larger butterfly plate since I can't find any for sale and am not planning to try and fabricate a larger one myself. If just porting out the stocker using stock butterfly plate doesn't do anything though I might as well skip it.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:39 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
Curious if you believe that DIY porting the throttle body does or doesn't help. The reason I ask as I was planning to go the DIY route myself knowing that it wouldn't be quite as good as the "Fastman" throttle bodies since I wouldn't be going to a larger butterfly plate since I can't find any for sale and am not planning to try and fabricate a larger one myself. If just porting out the stocker using stock butterfly plate doesn't do anything though I might as well skip it.
Keeping the 50mm size (just getting rid of the taper) is fine, it should help down low. The 52mm is a bit big for stock sized 5.9L V8s even, and you will lose low end sometimes. However, once you add on a better intake kit (14x3 or CAI, or whatever) and do more work with the engine, the larger bore helps out and you don't lose any low end.

The Fastman (Dan) actually recommends the 50mm size for 5.9L V8s that are mostly stock and tow a lot. If I were you, I didn't want to spend the $$$ on the Fastman, and I had access to the proper tools/equipment, I would do it.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:57 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks nort for the compliment.

and there is a guy on the forum that does 50mm TB's for $105 and you get $25 back when you ship your old one. he is a pleasure to do business with, and the product is great. i think his name is bwdakrt.

just swap your sensors and make a new bolt for your airhat (comes with a diagram)
Name:  102_1049.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  187.0 KB

Last edited by lord0fsal3m; 05-15-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience jasonw. I appreciate it.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:54 PM
99ramman
Rookie
Talking

Originally Posted by Nortzy
ill be sitting in the garage with the truck running and the lights are on.
You shouldnt do that I heard you get sleepy.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:29 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

the only reason i suggested the poormans throttle body mod was because the thread said the cheapest way to create horsepower. though its up in the air that it may or may not create horsepower at least its free, only some elbow grease involved

Old 05-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Cheat
Veteran

For the whole light thing, Look for a black box on the driver side fender and unhook it, Its the daytime running lights control thing. Your lights should then go off, But they will work like normal.

Quick Reply: cheapest way to create some extra horse???