2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: Would you rather have the...
HUG5409 FI AirGap Kit (Retail $599.99, DF Price $525.00)
37.50%
HUG7714 Plenum Repair (Retail $86.00, DF Price $76.00)
33.33%
Not interested.
29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Hughes Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:42 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Dak408
If you really want low end for heavy loads and towing a diesel works pretty well.
True!

I don't, strictly speaking, require a diesel for what I'm asking of my truck. Not that I'd mind if the diesel elves would swap one into place while I'm sleeping.

You're making me feel old, calling a DQ tunnel ram "old school". Puckin' funk!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:48 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never would send a buck to that guy.......

Last edited by DukesOfHazzard; 06-04-2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:16 PM
98Dak408

True!

I don't, strictly speaking, require a diesel for what I'm asking of my truck. Not that I'd mind if the diesel elves would swap one into place while I'm sleeping.

You're making me feel old, calling a DQ tunnel ram "old school". Puckin' funk!
Hey I'm older than you think; I grew up in that era. I was just kidding with the diesel comment. But if you really need torque get a diesel. Otherwise, keep your kegger. Or modify your kegger. The original airgap was designed as a compromise between low end and high end power. It's probably not going to give you the low end that the kegger will. You can also add a gear and/or stall convertor to get into the rpm range sooner. Or perhaps the better mid-range and upper-end power is worth more to you than a loss at the low end. Some people say they didn't lose low end and others say otherwise.

Last edited by 98Dak408; 06-03-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:07 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for not throwing smilies enough -- I'd assumed you were joking about the diesel.

I remain tossed up about that stinking manifold and by now I'm thinking that it'd be better to just get a better floor in the plenum than to waste more mental energy on the question. There's nothing inherently wrong with the design of the stock piece aside from the pan problem, and from an engineering standpoint I like the concept of it.

Freeing up $500 in my build budget gets me to thinking about cams.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:18 PM
98Dak408

Sorry for not throwing smilies enough -- I'd assumed you were joking about the diesel.

I remain tossed up about that stinking manifold and by now I'm thinking that it'd be better to just get a better floor in the plenum than to waste more mental energy on the question. There's nothing inherently wrong with the design of the stock piece aside from the pan problem, and from an engineering standpoint I like the concept of it.

Freeing up $500 in my build budget gets me to thinking about cams.

Today 08:16 PM
No problem.

What I like about the kegger is it really does work down low. And, it has equal runner lengths. But it does fall flat toward the upper end. I thought about machining more out of the underside to shorten the runners but at some point I think you'd be approaching the realm of a single plane and may start lacking flow volume. The type of cam you have dictates manifold design too as well as gear, stall, etc, in order to get it moving down low. So if you're more concerned about the low end, perhaps a slightly modified kegger with something like a 206 cam. If you’re thinking a larger cam than that or enhanced mid-range and higher rpm power, then I would definitely look at the Hughes Airgap or an M1 (2-bbl or 4-bbl)

It's really easy to get into a pissing contest over intake manifolds; I've seen it over-and-over on other forums. It can be a matter of perception. One guy told me he thinks people feel they lost low end because the mid and upper end is so much better that their perception is thrown off. Maybe for me, maybe not for you.

I ran the M1 2-bbl on my stroker for a while with a 52mm TB. It made nice power but I always thought I should have more. Then I bored a stock throttle body out to 53.6mm and what a difference it made in mid to high end power with no perceptible loss of low end. Then I wondered if a 4-bbl would be better than the 2-bbl for my application. There is a point of no further gain but am I there yet? The next step was going to be the 4-bbl intake but I was getting further along with my modified tunnel ram and I needed the intake off to mock it up. I’m thinking a progressive linkage so it’s not so sensitive taking off with max flow when I stand on it. Unlike a carbureted setup, I can’t overwhelm the engine with gas by using large throttle bodies on the EFI.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. I know I agonize over just about every aspect of modifications I do to my truck.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just dont understand why the kegger is so big, it has to be why these trucks are pigs stock.. they make good power when you do stuff

its just do we really need that much space to mix air and fuel on a small block ?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 AM
98Dak408

i just dont understand why the kegger is so big, it has to be why these trucks are pigs stock.. they make good power when you do stuff

its just do we really need that much space to mix air and fuel on a small block ?
Yeah the plenum size makes me wonder and kind of bothers me. I wonder if it's just a result of making the runners so long. The runners go from the head port around to the other head and pick up airflow toward the floor of the intake. The throttle body is high atop the manifold. The airflow comes from the throttle body down toward the floor of the intake and has to make an ungraceful turn to get into the intake port. It's not a real streamlined flow path but in order to get the runners so long for low end grunt that's how they did it. The plenum really has nothing to do with air/fuel mixture since the injectors are right at the mouth of the head port. For anything other than total low end performance, you'd have to modify the kegger or go with one of the aftermarket designs.

Since I converted the tunnel ram to EFI, I cut the plenum size down since it is no longer needed for fuel mixing.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:17 AM
98Dak408

Original quote In regard to post #52 in regard to post #51
yeah F all this noise IMO, LOTS OF REASONS!! BUT SUMS IT UP FOR ME NEVER WOULD SEND A BUCK TO THAT GUY......
Revised quote from post #52 in regard to post #51
Never would send a buck to that guy.......
For clarification, this is the revised response from this person in regard to my diesel comment that I made in fun. I apologize for the misunderstanding as you never know how a comment is going to be received. I have never had any dealings with this person or known of him prior to his comments. I am new to this forum and enjoy the sharing of ideas. I am an avid Dodge enthusiast. I see there are others from other forums here too. Again, I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Last edited by 98Dak408; 06-05-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:39 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Dak408

For clarification, this is the revised response from this person in regard to my diesel comment that I made in fun. I apologize for the misunderstanding as you never know how a comment is going to be received. I have never had any dealings with this person or known of him prior to his comments. I am new to this forum and enjoy the sharing of ideas. I am an avid Dodge enthusiast. I see there are others from other forums here too. Again, I apologize for any misunderstanding.
welcome to tthe forum BTW

Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM
98Dak408

welcome to tthe forum BTW
Thank you! I appreciate being here.

Quick Reply: Hughes Group Buy