2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mod Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 10:32 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod Help

ALright guys I got 233,000miles on my truck and now that she is finaly payed for I can somewhat afford to start doing my mods. I have a 97 ram 1500 4x4 ext cab with the 5.2l engine. So far I have just put the k&n cold air intake on but plan on doing much more so let me know what ya'll think.

I have a dual exhaust system that was on my truck when I bout it and an o2 simm on the way from the fastman so I can cut the cat out and leave the mufler.

I plan on getting the 50mm throttle botdy from the fastman in about 3 weeks.

I plan on getting a set of headers and a whole new exhaust at some point but have yet to decide what to get and would love everybodys input.

I have a hypertec 3 on the way which should be here sometime next.

I would love some opinions on these mods and any suggestions on any other mods.

I am only 20 and don't have alot of auto mechanics knowledge because I have been lucky and have only had to do minor work to my truck.

Old 05-14-2005, 07:51 AM
zeekxxx
Captain
Default RE: Mod Help

Hmmm thats a good amount of miles. I know you said you have little mechanics knowledge but lets assume you know someone who does. Heres what Id do. - rebuild the engine. New piston rings and cam. (only thing with a rebuild is all the little things you need to buy - aka timing chain - seals and oilpump - blah blah blah) Sometimes its easier to just buy a crate motor. As for easy mods make sure you do a compression test on each cylinder to make sure you still have a good working engine before you open your wallet to mods. If you do and you have good compression that means the valves and rings are still working properly. Also Im not sure psi per cylinder but they all should be about the same - or with in a range. If you find 1 cylinder that is way off you might need to get that looked at. Also Im sure you know this but think on how long you plan to keep this truck. Sometimes saving the cash on mods and using it for a down payment on a new truck is a good idea too. I tend to replace my truck when the insides start rattling and falling apart. I think they design the interior to self destruct after 10 years. That way as you drive to work you start getting annoyed and a new truck starts looking better and better. Anyway ...... Im not sure how you should do your mods but heres my list that Im following..

Rapid fire plugs - installed
New cap rotor - wires - installed.
Flow master 40 - installed
K&n cold air intake - coming soon
Gibsen shorty header - coming not so soon - but going to do -
Fastmann throttle body - In the future-
Super chip. - not so sure - might be happy with power after I do headers.
Super charger - never - but its a cool idea.
New truck - Best idea if you really want more power.

good luck...

Old 05-14-2005, 02:50 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional
Default RE: Mod Help

I had the compression checked about 6months ago and everything was fine. I also have an account setup that I am putting money into for a new crate motor (I am halfway there) that way when the time comes I am ready for it. I am mainly doing small bolt on mods so I know I can remove them to put on the new engine.

I don't think I will get rid of my truck anytime soon. I hang out with alot of guy in their 40's and 50's and hear them talk about how much they wish they still had their first car and figure for now mine still runs great and gets ok gas mileage so why not keep her around. I have been considering getting a stratus coupe for a second car but have not yet made a decision.

I was wondering has anybody used that venom 400 on their truck. I saw a few posts about it in the car forums but nothing here in the truck forums.