2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Skoubah
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Issue?

I just got my new ram while it ran great when i test drove it (of coarse) but when i drove it home it did some crap that scared me.

Everything was fine till i got off the highway and then it seemed like it was taking a long time to shift, rpms would get pretty high before switching, then at one point i'm certain i was giving it gas and it seemed to be slipping, just not moving as fast as it should. Last but not least i think at a certain point or gear (may'be second) i hear a funny noise, but i cant tell if that's just me being paranoid because i just got it.

Naturally i only have 30 days to find out if this tranny is no good, is there anything i can do myself besides taking it somewhere? Also based on my symptoms what do you guys think?

Last edited by Skoubah; 06-08-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 PM
plumbob1968
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would prob take it back to where you bought it right away and tell them your probs....and unless you got a really good deal maybe get money back...not sure if its still true but some states have a 3 day buyers remorse clause on buying autos

Old 06-08-2010, 10:20 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be more specific. What gears do you think are slipping or taking to long to shift? How high do the RPM's get?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 PM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could drop the pan, if you have chunks you got junk, could be the gov. solenoids but i'd pm montec he's the tranny tech. if it is the solenoids its an easy fix and you might even get the dealer you bought it from to fix it, if he doesn't i'd throw the keys back at him, provided your still within your 3 days or whatever it is for your state. if they don't fix it i'd tell them that you will be getting in touch with the better business bureau.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:52 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

unless you got it super cheap - either take it back or accept the possibility of it needing a $1500 rebuild. if you're not sure, then take it to a professional shop and ask them to check it out. ask them if they can certify it as good or bad. expect to pay $100+ for that. discuss what certification means, as in - if they declare it good, and then it fails at 45 days, what will they do for you. if they declare it bad, then ask for a repair estimate and give that to your seller when you return it. whatever you do, don't let the seller jerk you around for 31 days while your warranty expires. that's what they'll try to do...

Last edited by dhvaughan; 06-09-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:57 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
unless you got it super cheap - either take it back or accept the possibility of it needing a $1500 rebuild. if you're not sure, then take it to a professional shop and ask them to check it out. ask them if they can certify it as good or bad. expect to pay $100+ for that. discuss what certification means, as in - if they declare it good, and then it fails at 45 days, what will they do for you. if they declare it bad, then ask for a repair estimate and give that to your seller when you return it. whatever you do, don't let the seller jerk you around for 31 days while your warranty expires. that's what they'll try to do...
^^^Couldn't have said it better.

Quick Reply: Tranny Issue?