2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater core replaced & now a/c isn't cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:54 PM
M Laborde
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater core replaced & now a/c isn't cold

Had my heater core replaced at a shop on Monday & Tuesday. I had them leave the a/c uncharged so I could charge it myself & save about $60.

I charged it properly & added pag oil but it is only cool now. The low pressure line sweats a lot more than it ised to and drips from several places where it didn't before. It's sweat dripping, not R134. The high pressure line is cool to the touch and the cannister (dryer?) used to sweat quickly but doesn't really sweat now and takes a long time to get cool to the touch.

I took it back to them this morning and they said they'd look at it. I have little faith that they will admit that they caused it. Before they worked on the truck this week, the a/c blew COLD air.

Any ideas on what it could be?

EDIT: As I was about to hit the button to post this, the mechanic called & said that they pulled the vacuum back down & refilled it and now it blows at 46 degrees. I'm gonna go pick it up and see.He said it was possible that they let a little air back in the system while they were working on it the other day.

They are pretty good guys there and I want to believe them. I hope they are right.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to ask if you put a vacuum on the system before filling it and if you put the first can in upside down, but it's fixed already, so that's good news. I think mine blows somewhere around 55º. That makes me want to carry my heat gun with me on my next drive to see how cold it really is.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:25 PM
ghost4321
Professional

Hopefully the loss of vacuum isn't from the evap core going. It's rather common for them to fail shortly after a heater core change.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:34 PM
M Laborde
Rookie

Follow up: So far, so good with the A/C. Damn truck is having other issues now, though...

175,000 trouble-free miles and now it's giving me h3ll.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

WHat are your other problems? These trucks are easy to work on (I couldnt imagine paying someone to work on mine).

Quick Reply: Heater core replaced & now a/c isn't cold