2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Motor turns over but no spark control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Juggernaut09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor turns over but no spark control?

So Im at the last stages of my first motor swap right now and I've finally gotten things right where they should be. Motor turns over but we're not getting a spark from the coil pack, i know this because my redneck uncle plugged an old spark plug wire to it and a screw driver to the other end and held the metal end of the screwdriver as I cranked it over. He mumbled somthing about a Moduler in the distributor or the crank shaft sensor needing to be cleaned. Does this sound right or do you think the beer was starting to get to him ?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Cam sensor in distributor, and the crank sensor is on back of the motor by tranny dipstick tube. Did you install it? And more importantly, did you remove it when installing the motor? It gets damaged if you don't.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Juggernaut09

crank sensor was taken out and switched while doing the motor swap, good chance it was damaged because my cousin put it in after the motor swap was done. So should I just buy a replacement from nappa or somthing ?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:51 PM
CaptChood

did your cousin use a spacer when he put the crank sensor back in? If the crank sensor isn't at the right depth it can cause issues. You should be able to pick up a spacer from a dealership.

Quick Reply: Motor turns over but no spark control?