2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

License plate light problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:53 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I thought seriously about doing that and just doing away with these bulbs. Would have been a hell of a lot cheaper. $15 vs the the $38 for the harnesses, the $17 for the covers since mine are cracked, and then $7.50 for the bulbs. Yet. I decided I didn't want to have these there and no lights in them. I ended up ordering a set of LED's off ebay to put in when they get here. Maybe they won't cause as many problems melting the plastic.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:55 PM
intense00
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, I just wired in leds and held them in with silicone. Works and looks great. And it was cheap too.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:25 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about going to the bone yard? One of mine is out of it's socket and that's what I'm gonna do.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:25 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like if them breaking is this common, the ones at a junk yard will probably be broken too. Or so close to breaking I wont want them. That is unless you find one that has new ones.

Anyway, I got the ones from the dealer this afternoon and just came back from putting them on. Apparently according to the dealer they make two styles of these depending on your truck. They had 2 of the style I had luckily as they only had 1 in stock of the other style. Anyway, I put them on and now they work great. I just need new lens as mine are cracked. I ordered some 2 new lenses from Rock Auto as well as some LED's from eBay. So hopefully in a week or two I will have this setup how I want it.

I also got my exhaust fixed today. So now I'm getting closed to having the truck back like it should be. The only thing I have left is brake lines, which aren't that bad, they just are starting to get surface rust on the under the hood ones. So I want to change those sometime soon before they do get all rusty and I run the risk of one going bad. That's just one of those things I want perfect, so any rust I want to nip in the bud. Other than the brake lines and these pieces, I don't think there is anything else I need to do to this truck.

Quick Reply: License plate light problem