2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stuck in the mud how do i get out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:24 PM
barrypotts1b
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stuck in the mud how do i get out?

I know how to get out of mud. But on the 1500 i have there is no tow hooks in the front and no hitch on the back. The only thing is the ball on the bumper. IF i get stuck what can i attach a tow rope to.

And i know how to get out of mud. Please I dont want tips on how to rock out or putting your floor mats under your tires. Thanks Ahead

Old 07-07-2010, 06:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually, that kinda ties in with another current discussion:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...tow-hooks.html

Old 07-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to get pulled out of the mud forwards last year, and I ended up wrapping the chain up around the frame rail up front. It popped my air dam off a little bit, but I fixed it easily and have since got rid of it anyways... not the best way to do it, but it'll work. I'd love to get some towhooks on mine badly, not so much for gettin pulled out, but more for pullin other things around....

Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DON'T ****** on the rear bumper, or its braces!!!!! you'll bend it.
now - if you're just barely stuck, and you pull slow and easy, the bumper can accept some steady pull without damage. but i promise if you let one your "hey ya'll watch this ****" buddies hook up to your bumper, they'll bend the **** out of it.
the best solution on the rear is to get a receiver hitch that bolts to the frame. you can get a new one for 100-200 or a used one from the junk yard for not too much. i don't know what all would fit it.

front - watch your air dam. the least little thing will break it. try hooking up a chain or strap to the FRAME in the driveway, and see what does and doesn't mess up stuff. if everything hits the air dam, consider removing it.

there's some bumper supports that you can hook to for VERY GENTLE pulling, but if you ****** on them the least little bit, you'll pull your bumper out of alignment.
best solution is the factory tow hooks or something similar.
second best is a front receiver hitch.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where's sheriff with his front towhook setup? That's a nice deal there

Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I decided that I wanted a front tow point the last time I got stuck. I hooked a chain to the crossmember and it bent my air dam a little, bent my bottom bar on my brush guard and peeled out the hole I hooked the chain to.
30$ and a while later I had a front hitch welded to the frame.

Some day soon I'm going to extend that hitch so the receiver hole will be just past the air dam instead of behind it.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 07-08-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are planning on playing off-road at all, you really need recovery points. Chances are you will eventually get stuck, and it makes it 1000x easier to have someone help you out. Even a receiver hitch in the back is better than nothing. Tow hooks are not all that expensive to buy - even cheaper if you can make them.

Having said that... there are a few things you can do try to "self" recover

Dig out

Try to add something to gain some traction - kitty litter, branches, boards etc. Use your shovel to fill in near the tires with dry dirt...

Depending on the type of tires you have... you can air down. BIAS ply tires can be aired down further than radials. It will give you a wider footprint and may help you float on the surface instead of cutting down into the mud. Once I needed to dig and deflate my (bias ply) tires down to about 8lbs to get out of the snow.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. It just seems too many times people think the only solution to getting recovered involves another vehicle pulling them out. Don't forget there is always the "hard" way.

Good luck,
Cartman

Old 07-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Relex
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always just wrapped a chain around my back bumper but that is why I need a new one now lol. I the last couple times I've needed to pull someone out I just wrap the chain around my frame.

Quick Reply: Stuck in the mud how do i get out?