2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ram1500 new alternator won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010 | 04:41 PM
indakeys
|
Default 97 Ram1500 new alternator won't start

I have a 97 Ram1500, 5.2 V8. Alternator quit charging, truck still ran fine. Drove it into the shade, disconnected the battery, changed the alternator and now it will not start.

I hear the fuel pump charging, but seems to be no spark. Any help??

I have rechecked all connections. I am about to put the old alternator back on and try that!

Thanks!!!!

Old 07-11-2010 | 05:30 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

The alternator should not affect that, but a thought would be to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the computer as it does control the charging system also. Someone else may know something more to this though.

Old 07-11-2010 | 06:09 PM
army_greywolf
Professional

Just the reset of the IAC, start your truck with a little bit on the throttle, it'll fire up just fine. Drive it around for about 20 minutes around town, and then on the way back to the house turn the a/c on. It'll be back to normal.

Old 07-11-2010 | 06:53 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

if it tries to turn over but wont catch just put ur foot to the floor and see if itll catch. you will need to keep pressure on the gas pedal and itll indicate that there is a problem with the new alt.

or check to see if the battery is good. might have been a battery problem at first

Old 07-11-2010 | 08:08 PM
indakeys
|
Default Eureka

Well, thanks, VERY MUCH, to both of you for the advice. I had to hold the pedal to the metal for about 15 seconds of cranking. (that's quite awhile if you haven't tried it!). After the second time, it kept running. Then, the drive around ending with the A/C on got the idle straightened out.

Learn something everyday.

Thanks, again!!

Quick Reply: 97 Ram1500 new alternator won't start