2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 PM
ColoradoRamLover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram 1500

Alright! I have a 01 Ram 1500 5.9l V8 witt the "Off Road" package. It has 150,000 miles on it. A brand new tranny and radiator. I would like to get more power for it. Im currently looking at a Jet stage one performance chip and either a K&N intake or air raid.. Do you guys have any suggestions? Also, what would be the best intake that will get the most power? Also same for the chip? Although I dont want to run my old girl to hard, I just want atleast 300 horses..

Ill post pics of my baby once I get it back from the shop(long story lol)..

Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to DF!

CAIs/chips/etc. never generate as much HP as they claim, they always skew the numbers (not to mention the HP is usually made the most up high in the RPMs where our trucks usually don't go).

Skip the Jet chip. Nothing but headaches on our trucks. There aren't any "chips" for these trucks that work well, the best thing you can do is pick up a programmer. SCT (contact hemifever@aol.com) is the best, or Superchips if you prefer a larger company or want to be able to change your speedo's accuracy (for larger tires than factory).

As far as a CAI, unless you want something like a ram air setup or a Volant, all CAIs will perform the same. They won't actually suck in any colder air, because they all suck it in from the engine compartment, where the air is already warm, and then the air heats up as it drops down through the "keggar", our half-barrel looking intake manifolds. All they really do is provide a bigger filter medium, allowing more air in.

All these, and many other, upgrades and options can be read about in DIY guides or other threads in the 2nd Gen FAQ section, which can be found right at the top of the main 2nd Gen Ram page (where you posted this thread).

To get to 300 HP at the crank (actually to the wheels is even harder), you'll need to do at least as many things as I've done (see sig for what little I've done so far), plus some. I haven't dynoed mine, but if I'm at 300 crank HP, I'd be surprised.

Where at in Colorado are you? I have relatives in Boulder.

Last edited by jasonw; 07-28-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:32 AM
ColoradoRamLover
Veteran

Haha my bad! I should have looked at those before I posted this.

But SCT? Alright, I will contact him. If you dont mind me asking, how much would that run me?

Oh I know, they are never actually "cold." But I think I will look into the "Volent" I guess? Which I bet will run me about $300 or so? Also, what about the "round" lookin things/filter I read in the FAQ intakes? Which would be better?

I also figured it would take a lot to get that much to the wheels. I might as well get a Cummins! lol But Im still gonna try and get more power either way. It would just be nice. Even if itll cost me a few thousand.

I live in the south west in a small town about an hour away from Durango called Pagosa Springs. I dont know if youve heard of it or not. Get a lot of snow, more than the front range most of the time. Had over ten feet at my house and Im only at 7000 feet.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:57 AM
bigslick050
All Star

LMFAO Good luck trying to pull 300 hp at the wheels. But yes, the SCT by hemifever for 275 canned tune or $375 custom tunes are the way to go around these parts of the woods. His shiz is highly recommended on this forum. Also, many people here have different preferences on air cleaners and CAI. I use the K&N CAI and noticed a nice difference on the truck when put on. It has also been dyno tested to gain 9 hp on a stock 360 magnum. Another excellent mod to do that I can vouch for, would be dual electric fans. It gets rid of the old inefficient fan clutch to free up 7-12 hp gain at the crank, as well as colder A/C, improved gas mileage, improved throttle response, and your truck will run cooler. Alot of benefits running the e-fans. FF Dynamics designs and makes one just for our 94-01 magnum trucks. $300 shipped. Also, gut the cat or put High performance cat on with nice aftermarket exhaust, you will gain a little power and torque, as well as some sweet exhaust tunes. Also a nice set of ceramic coated headers can give upto 15hp depending on the brand...but they always help power gains and let the engine breathe easier. These are good places to start.

SCT Tuned by hemifever $375
K&N CAI $260
FF Dynamics Dual E-Fans $295
Aftermarket exhaust (duals) $250+
Headers $350

Old 07-29-2010, 06:02 AM
ColoradoRamLover
Veteran

Originally Posted by bigslick050
LMFAO Good luck trying to pull 300 hp at the wheels. But yes, the SCT by hemifever for 275 canned tune or $375 custom tunes are the way to go around these parts of the woods. His shiz is highly recommended on this forum. Also, many people here have different preferences on air cleaners and CAI. I use the K&N CAI and noticed a nice difference on the truck when put on. It has also been dyno tested to gain 9 hp on a stock 360 magnum. Another excellent mod to do that I can vouch for, would be dual electric fans. It gets rid of the old inefficient fan clutch to free up 7-12 hp gain at the crank, as well as colder A/C, improved gas mileage, improved throttle response, and your truck will run cooler. Alot of benefits running the e-fans. FF Dynamics designs and makes one just for our 94-01 magnum trucks. $300 shipped. Also, gut the cat or put High performance cat on with nice aftermarket exhaust, you will gain a little power and torque, as well as some sweet exhaust tunes. Also a nice set of ceramic coated headers can give upto 15hp depending on the brand...but they always help power gains and let the engine breathe easier. These are good places to start.

SCT Tuned by hemifever $375
K&N CAI $260
FF Dynamics Dual E-Fans $295
Aftermarket exhaust (duals) $250+
Headers $350
Haha I can dream right?! But, I do have dual exhaust, but Im not sure what Im runnin with that. I know its cherry bombed, but other than that, thats how I bought it. But, I think once I get better cash flowing, Im definitely gonna go for the SCT, Headers, and K&N CAI for the first few things I get done. First will probably be the CAI. Then the other two shortly after. Finally the Dual Fans a little later on.

But thanks for the info!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:54 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

300+ rwhp =
K&N 14x3" filter, hdrs, ypipe, 3"h/f cat & catback exhaust.
52mm fastman tb, FI airgap intake, cam with 220/230 520L 110lsa, stgII ported EQ heads, 1.6rr, fms matched 24lb inj, 2500 stall tc & an SCT tuner

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 1500