2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 fog lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 PM
mkvanhou
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 fog lights not working

I just bought a 1998 Ram 1500 and the fog lights don't work. The previous owner had been doing work on the truck and told me that the fog lights didn't work, I think he had cut off the connectors for some reason. There are three wires coming out of part of the harness, 2 black wires and 1 blue one. Then there are 2 wires coming from the harness connected to the lights, 1 is red and the other is blue. I can get the lights to come on by connecting them straight to the battery but can't get the wires hooked up correctly so they work with the switch. I've got the 2 blues wires connected but don't know how/where to connect the 2 blacks and 1 red.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 PM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

Blacks = your neg or grounds
Red= your power wires

okay, make sure the wires are ran to the correct spot for your lights.
i was going to say, either u have a bad relay, the lights arnt grounded properly, fuse is blown for the accessories lighting... I'm no professional at wiring so i tried to help some. Know im gonna let the big dogs give it a shot.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:47 PM
mkvanhou

thanks for trying FarmBoy228

relays are fine, fuses are fine. i know what wires are positive and negative but there is no wire for the red wire coming from the lights to connect to and i don't know where to connect it so it gets power to it. also, i think the 2 black wires are for the switch that's in the cab. here's a picture of the wires i've got. the wires are ran correctly because they're still in the plastic wire guard.

Attached Thumbnails 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 fog lights not working-0728002138.jpg  
Old 07-30-2010, 05:08 PM
mkvanhou

I got it figured out, it was confusing me because the connectors were gone. The two blues go together and then the two blacks and one red go together. The two blacks are for the switch in the cab and provide power to the red for the fog lights. Everything is working great now, the fog lights come on and go off when they should.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 PM
truegent81
Captain

glad you got it figured out. i know it can be annoying when things like lights malfunction. i'm kinda in the same boat. when i turn my f lights on, one works and the other doesnt. i have replaced fuses, and bulbs but nothing worked. do you have any idea what this could be? i have posted a thread before on this with a lot of pics but i have yet to fix this issue. i can't figure out how to disconnect the gray harnesses. any idea how to do this without breaking the pieces off? if i could do this i can remove the wires and break open the plastic casing and see if there are any issues. if i can't i'm just gonna take it somewhere bc i hate not having my lights working. TIA

Old 07-31-2010, 10:00 PM
mkvanhou

i'm not sure, the only thing i can think of is that there is a loose wire somewhere, either in the connector that goes to the bulb or somewhere else between the switch in the cab and the lights. as for disconnecting the harnesses, are you talking about the things where there is a red piece connected to it, if you are then you have to slide the red piece one way or the other and then pinch together the little black piece that should be behind the red piece...these things are one of the biggest pains in the *** on any vehicle, they need to come up with some other connector.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 fog lights not working