2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Valve tick or somthing else

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:19 AM
Brian_m92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Valve tick or somthing else

So my truck when i got it had less than 25k on ( 2500 v10 ) and I noticed after geting over the coolness of it that I herd some ticking coming from the engine compartment and you use to only hear it a 1500 under load ie cruzin the highway but it's gettin louder I got on the comp at school with the Mitchel service and it said there were some that had a problem with a solinod for the emisions system or could a valve be ticking my shop teacher thought it was pinging I was just wondering what it is

Old 08-05-2010, 12:22 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be lifter ticking. But, most of the time, you can hear it at idle conditions as well. This happens when the lifter is no longer holding hydraulic pressure due to it being worn and leaking.

As it leaks or, drops pressure, the pushrod that is holding the valve open will also drop thus cause that ticking sound. This occurs even when the vehicle is turned off. It can be quite loud in some cases to mild ticking when running.

Now, pinging is another type of sound and is usually intermittent.

As for the solenoid, I'm not in the know about that one other than maybe what he's referring to is the PURGE solenoid valve that resides just on the other side of the firewall from the steering wheel.

On trick that I use to track down odd noises is to simply use a long, hard plastic hose and run it into the engine compartment and into the cab. THen, drive it with it up to your ear. Move it around to each location and note audio results during driving. Tape it to the PURGE SOLENOID at the body and listen. Place it at each plug and listen. But, you'll have to already have an idea of what the difference between lifter tick and pinging (detonation) is.

CM

Old 08-05-2010, 07:43 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On mine when it was pinging it would sound like someone was taking a wrench and hitting the exhaust manifold.

Also you'll have a noticed drop in performance when you step on it if it is ping.

What year is it? Put it in your sig.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:46 AM
Brian_m92

It's a 98 I'm doing this on an I touch my comp is being dumb right now it kinda went way with prem fuel but it's still there

Old 08-06-2010, 09:25 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

If premium fuel "hides" the sound some, my guess (without being able to look into your intake manifold) would be that your plenum gasket is blown, and the sound you are hearing is pinging. Oil is seeping past the bad gasket and screwing up your air-to-fuel ratio.

Take off the air cleaner assembly, turn the butterflies (with the engine off, I might add!) and look with a flashlight down into your intake manifold. Any pooling of oil in there is bad. Even if you don't see much, it still could be blown.

Do a search for plenum gasket, you'll find a lot of results/possible answers.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 AM
dodgeman52
Captain

he has no plenum if its a v10. u might want to check the cats

Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the pcv valve will tick like a **** when its bad too.... cheap fix IF that is what it is....

Quick Reply: Valve tick or somthing else