2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

latest project: ram air hat

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We had a hell of a rain storm today. First one since I installed the ram air setup.

I have a problem...

I need new wiper blades.

The Ram air hat was fine! The rain deflectors work beautifully. Very little rain in the tube whatsoever, it traveled up the tube 4 inches max. Nothing past the end of the scoops where the tube connects, and the inside of the air hat where the filter resides was bone dry, no moisture whatsoever.

And let me tell you it is still raining like a mother here. Visibility was not good, and the roads were slick as hell as we haven't had a decent rain in a month around here.

I drove straight into the rain at 55, followed behind a Chevy with trailer at 50 MPH full on straight at the tire spray, and even bashed a few puddles that sent water up over the hood. The rubber radiator flaps were soaked, the outside of the scoops were soaked, and everything was fine with the intake. I WAS sweating beads the whole way home waiting for a major hydrolock disaster. Pulled straight into the garage and jumped into the engine bay in my work clothes and pulled the lid off looking for water. I was sure I'd see a little, but there was NOTHING, not a drop or spittle dot to be seen. The whole tube was dry right up to where the scoops connect and that was dry enough to see the individual drops that made it in. I think the air tube velocity is very low with double tubes and that probably helps a ton.

After about a month of driving with this thing, I think it's definitely a keeper. Throttle response is noticeably better, especially when driving 20MPH and above.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:22 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job.
It was a nasty rain storm wasn't it?
I saw the nastiness on the radar earlier.
We got nothing over here.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:42 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have any pics of the rain deflectors ?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Trico Neoforms are some pretty good wiper blades. Don't know about longevity yet.
The RainX blades don't last for nothin.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The rain deflectors are just 2 wooden joint flanges I bent to cover the intake scoops. Its a piece of metal about 6x6" with a bunch of predrilled mounting holes. They are like 2 bucks at the Home Depot.

Quick Reply: latest project: ram air hat