2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trouble removing driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 04:05 PM
0verdrive
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble removing driveshaft

I'm trying to remove my transmission to take it in to be serviced. But I'm having trouble removing the rear driveshaft. I've removed the four bolts that attach the joint to the rear differential, but it won't budge!

I've tried tapping it with a hammer, raising and lowering the rear end (to try to pull the differential away from the driveshaft, and even putting a car jack under the yoke and trying to raise it off the driveshaft that way. Still no luck! I've included a picture in case I'm missing something obvious - does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2010, 04:10 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The slip yoke should be able to move in a little bit so that the drive shaft can move. Tap it with a BFH.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:21 PM
0verdrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by J415
The slip yoke should be able to move in a little bit so that the drive shaft can move. Tap it with a BFH.
Thanks for the input! I was hitting it hard enough that I had started to worry that I was missing something, and/or I was going to break something. I guess I shouldn't be able to damage anything by hitting it, as long as I hit the mounting bracket? I've been hitting the bracket from the side, trying to drive the driveshaft off the differential. Would it be better to hit upward or downward?

Is there anything I can do to encourage the slip yoke to move forward while I'm tapping on the rear yoke bracket?

Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2010, 04:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

only the 4 bolts and the rust hold it together. try to drive a screwdriver between them to seperate them, or smack the yoke sideways with a bigger hammer.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:25 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

can you wedge a pipe or bar up in the cavity at the bottom and pry on it,

Old 08-07-2010, 04:27 PM
0verdrive
Rookie

Thanks for all your help! I think I mainly just needed encouragement that I wasn't about to break something.

I got a bigger FH, and hit it from the top downward, and it came off after a few good hits.

Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2010, 04:30 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Had the same problem when I removed my rear driveshaft a few months ago. I just laid on the ground and kicked it off. Took a few times but it works.

Edit: nevermind, looks like you posted you took care of it while i was typing.

Quick Reply: Trouble removing driveshaft