2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will not restart when hot, need to wait until cool.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Burkeslaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will not restart when hot, need to wait until cool.

I have a 97 3/4 ton 4x4 318. If I shut it off and restart immediately it will start, how ever if I wait a minute or so, it will take 3 hours for engine to cool enough for a restart. The engine cranks, I can hear the fuel pump prime with the engagement of the ignition, but it appears to not have any spark. I am thinking a coil issue, possibly a ignition module (does Dodge have one and if so where is it's location?) possibly something within the distributor cap. My though is something electrical is getting hot, and so long as it is hot it will not allow spark. I live in Michigan average temps has been in the mid 80s during the day this summer. this is a new issue, been going on a couple of days. I am flat broke so can not afford to experiment.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:32 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brothers Jeep had similar problem, turns out it was the coolant temp sensor for the computer.
It was sending info to computer that showed engine was cold, thus flooding the engine.

Dave

Old 08-14-2010, 05:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can test for 12 volts at the coil. if none, then the pcm is shutting it off for some reason.

easiest first step is to swap the ASD relay with horn or wiper.

if 12v at the coil and still no spark... hmmm.

not really an ignition module, but there is a cam position sensor, also called secondary ignition coil, inside the distributor, under the rotor.

Quick Reply: Will not restart when hot, need to wait until cool.