2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

T-case tail housing leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:36 AM
duneslider
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-case tail housing leak?

I was under the truck today and noticed the tail housing leak has gotten worse. Been watching it for awhile now but it wasn't too bad. There is a lot more wet new oil being slung around now.

How tough of a fix is this? Do I have to pull the whole t-case or can just the tail housing be pulled and the seal replaced?

I am building quite the list of things that need fixing! Looks like my waterpump seal has really started leaking pretty good and i need to do that soon too.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You just pull the drive shaft, pull the seal out of the end and drive a new seal on then re-install the drive shaft and you're done.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

get the good National brand seal from Advance. don't use a crappy timken. when you drive the new seal in just keep it straight. if you can get a block of wood across it thats a plus, but if not just tap, tap, tap - around and around until it seats.

pry/yank out the old seal with either a seal puller or a big screwdriver. use care not to overly gouge the housing.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:28 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine when i had the tailhousing off to replace the speedo drive gear and it was a breeze. just get a flat head under the metal flange on the seal and get some clearance (be gentle) b/w the seal and tailhousing and hit it a few times and itll come rite out.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
get the good National brand seal from Advance. don't use a crappy timken. when you drive the new seal in just keep it straight. if you can get a block of wood across it thats a plus, but if not just tap, tap, tap - around and around until it seats.

pry/yank out the old seal with either a seal puller or a big screwdriver. use care not to overly gouge the housing.
I tried the tap tap tap method when i did mine.. :/ didn't have any luck. Ended up pulling my exhaust tip off which ended up being the perfect size (larger than 2.5" most likely 2.75") and drove it in with that with a rubber mallet. The exhaust tip fit perfectly on top of the metal ring on the seal.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:38 PM
duneslider
Amateur

Thanks for the replys. Looks like another little repair to addto my list. I have a lot of minor repairs to do. Been very impressed I haven't had anything major in 130k. I toyed with selling the truck and going newer but now am thinking new engine transmission when this one goes. Really like the truck hope to make it to 200k before anything major needs doing.

Quick Reply: T-case tail housing leak?