2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ignition Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:39 PM
CBR900RR19
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Upgrades

Hey its me again LOL!! Joined up when my 98 Ram 1500 5.9 wouldn't start. Well you guys got her running but now its time to get rid of that rough idle and get her in tip top shape. Right now she is stock some parts newer than others LOL. Been going through the archives doing some reading about coils and other ignition upgrades. I see some people using MSD and frying PCM's or burning off rotor tips prematurely. So my thought is how about everyone does some bragging and clue everyone else in on their ignition setups. Let's hear about your parts of choice... Coils, plugs ( think I get this one down most love champion), wires, rotors, caps. Brands you love and those you hate!! Pretty sure the SCT tuner by Hemifever is top choice too from everything I've read... So ya get braggin!!! LOL

Last edited by CBR900RR19; 08-24-2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MY EXPERIENCE: MSD 6AL and MSD Coil with Accel Plugs wires cap rotor (Accel truck tune up package from Summit Racing)
I like it. I have never fried any rotors. Had this setup in my 1996 5.2 and my current 2001. THe reason why people "talk" about fried rotors is because the MSD gives you 3 sparks per crank, so you go through plugs/caps/rotors 3x as fast. At worst, you will change your cap/rotor/plugs once per year (12K miles).

Cmckenna's recommendation:
He does not like MSD because their product is not the same as it used to be. But he will tell you that pullstar plugs and magnecor wires are worth the money. It will cost you 155 for the wires and 14 dollars per plug. So it is spendy. He did tell me that he got the pullstar plugs after calling pullstar and asking if he could return them if they did not deliver. They gave him 30 days. He was amazed. He could not believe the performance gains. SO, he got the truck home ASAP to let it cool. THen he put in a set of NGKs he was going to put in if the Pullstar plugs (iridiums) weren't all they were cracked up to be. Well, the NGKs went back to the same old performance and he kept the pullstars.

I want to get magnecors and pullstars for my next tuneup. I just changed my cap/rotor/wires and plugs about 700 miles ago. So I have a while.

However, I would not upograde your ignition unless you do other mods. I only did the MSD because i used to have that 6AL on my 1986 Camaro that I owned from 2001-2003.
Then I got bored and put it in my 1996. Took it out and put it in my 2001.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Raine883
Rookie

For your sake stay away from magnacore, they really aren't worth the money. I had them on my eclipse and lost 6 whp from my taylormade. My taylormade measured 55ohms on my eclipse, the magnacore were around 1500 ohms, seriously not worth it.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:36 AM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing with plugs is that not all plugs show improvements on every dodge. I've heard negative things about pulstars not giving any performance gains. But then I read positive things about them. It's like this for every plug. It's trial and error. As for the plugs, having issues with them on your eclipse is not the same as running them on a Dodge.

Here is a good post about plugs. Good info as well.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ark-wires.html

Last edited by CappinHoff; 08-25-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:10 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by CappinHoff
The thing with plugs is that not all plugs show improvements on every dodge. I've heard negative things about pulstars not giving any performance gains. But then I read positive things about them. It's like this for every plug. It's trial and error. As for the plugs, having issues with them on your eclipse is not the same as running them on a Dodge.

Any thread that cmckenna posts in has great info.

Suggestion to the OP:
PM Cmckenna and he will tell you what you need to know. He has tested many ignition systems, plugs and wires. He is the resident expert on fuel injection and ignition in this forum.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:36 AM
CBR900RR19
Professional

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
MY EXPERIENCE: MSD 6AL and MSD Coil with Accel Plugs wires cap rotor (Accel truck tune up package from Summit Racing)
I like it. I have never fried any rotors. Had this setup in my 1996 5.2 and my current 2001. THe reason why people "talk" about fried rotors is because the MSD gives you 3 sparks per crank, so you go through plugs/caps/rotors 3x as fast. At worst, you will change your cap/rotor/plugs once per year (12K miles).
Damn!! Every year?? Mine are the stockers that have been in the truck since I bought it!! I mean I'll upgrade to a setup like that if its worth it but I was hoping something a little more reliable than that. Maybe wishful thinking on my part...

However, I would not upograde your ignition unless you do other mods.
I have other mods in mind but what do you suggest first?? If the gains are worth it I'll go for it but if not maybe I'll go something close to OEM specs

Old 08-25-2010, 01:38 AM
CBR900RR19
Professional

Originally Posted by CappinHoff

Damn!! According to that thread seems like just about everything out there is crap or you are replacing it quite often!! I want my baby to perform but I'm not drag racing or anything LOL

Old 08-25-2010, 01:44 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

I guess I just do a tune up every year because i get bored. At least cap/rotor.

I have the MSD and a stronger coil because i have 24# injectors and I want to get a bigger spark. Having the MSD and the high voltage coil allows you to gap the plugs a bit further. You would really need to gap your plugs to see the gains. Helps the truck pull a bit better in the upper RPMs (3500+). But we hardly see those RPMs unless you stomp on it.

I would suggest that you just get these things:

1. Hughes plenum plate kit and intake bolts with a 180* thermostat
2. Doing #1 is pretty much a prerequisite for getting the SCT tuner from Hemifever with his 3 tunes.

After doing those upgrades, you will be very happy. Then you can get 1.7 roller rockers and look at finding a MSD on ebay and getting the coil for 50 dollars.

1 and 2 will run you about $500. And any further mods you do will not get you more power than the SCT for the money.

THose are really good starts and your truck will shift and run better. Just make sure, as with any car/truck, that you are doing performance upgrades to a vehicke in very good running condition.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:46 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by CBR900RR19
Damn!! According to that thread seems like just about everything out there is crap or you are replacing it quite often!! I want my baby to perform but I'm not drag racing or anything LOL
People say the magnecors or taylor wires last twice as long. Unless you burn one on a header they will last. So you get your money's worth in that respect.

April 2010 I am getting magencors and pullstar plugs if that says anything.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 AM
CBR900RR19
Professional

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
I guess I just do a tune up every year because i get bored. At least cap/rotor.
Oh I believe in tune ups and constant maint. Its just the buying of some new parts that I may not quite agree with. I mean I grease, lube, change filters and such. But plugs, caps and alike have normally just gotten a cleaning and regapped in my past vehicles. I do so like my toys though so if can make them better and more fun I have no problem with that...

I have the MSD and a stronger coil because i have 24# injectors
Injectors are do at least a good cleaning but don't think I'm changing them just yet...

I would suggest that you just get these things:

1. Hughes plenum plate kit and intake bolts with a 180* thermostat
2. Doing #1 is pretty much a prerequisite for getting the SCT tuner from Hemifever with his 3 tunes.

After doing those upgrades, you will be very happy. Then you can get 1.7 roller rockers and look at finding a MSD on ebay and getting the coil for 50 dollars.
Everyone on here talks about the plenum but so far I don't burn oil or notice any deposits of oil down there or notice any signs of problems that I think the plenum might cause. So for now not on the list. The thermostat was changed to a 180 or 160 when I flushed the system this year. Oh and the SCT tuner is a definite. I heard a lot about that one...

But here is my list of upgrades... Fastman 52mm TB, K&N FIPK, Set of Harland Sharp 1.7 Roller Rockers, E- Fan setup and maybe a Magnaflow system for now...

THose are really good starts and your truck will shift and run better. Just make sure, as with any car/truck, that you are doing performance upgrades to a vehicke in very good running condition.
Now see there in lies the problem I did recently have some issues which were covered in another thread. One was my ABS module which was rebuilt by Module Master so we are sweet there. Second she wouldn't start one day for no reason that was fun, tested a whole lot of electrical but finally had the PCM reconditioned by ACE. But now I have an intermittent rough idle and loss of power. So with known good IAC, TPS, CKS and slew of other items figured couldn't hurt to update the 12 yr old 100k miles iginition system...

Quick Reply: Ignition Upgrades