2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2500 springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010 | 09:11 PM
strang3majik
|
Amateur
Default 2500 springs?

Hey guys,
I'm trying to make my SS/T handle better. It already handles great, and the tires hold it back more than anything...but, I'd like it to be a little stiffer in the corners, and, I was wondering...

Would the rear leaf springs from a 2500 stiffen it up any? Also, is there any front end components I could use that may tighten it some?

Besides lowering it, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Already, the truck has 2" rear lowering shackles, a Ram 2500 rear sway bar, and new ball joints and pitman arm (made all the difference in the world).

Anything else? I was thinking about getting some poly bushings, but, anything else you'd recommend? Looking to make a corner carving truck to impress the, trucks suck, people

Old 08-30-2010 | 10:08 PM
Scottr1110
Veteran

Lowering it more would get u there i think adding 2500 springs will raise you up i would do poly bushings in all the shackles and leaf springs that will tighten the rear up good. Should also look for front poly bushings in all the front control bushings. Only down fall to them i is they dont give like rubber so the ride will get stiffer. Think they sell tubular front control arms to that have the bushings built into them if not u could weld plates onto the control arms to make them stronger.

Old 08-30-2010 | 11:28 PM
strang3majik
|
Amateur

are poly bushings worth it? And, is the only way to get a larger front sway bar, is aftermarket?
I know I'm referencing the 2500 again, but, thats what I got the rear sway bar off of...lol But, would it have a larger, interchangeable front sway bar?

And, I'd like to lower it more, but, drop spindles are very exspensive for these trucks, and, lowering front springs prematurely wear ball joints and cause uneven tire wear...so...I'd rather do it right...therefore, that'll probably wait...haha.

I'm hoping to get a set of SRT 10 wheels sooner or later, but, thats in the distant future as well...lol.

And, if you want a comparison of before and after the drop shackles...they made a huge difference in handling, as did the rear sway bar. My dad's 2wd, reg cab, short bed 2003 Hemi ram with 20" wheels feels like a jelly doughnut in comparison (and yes, the truck is flipped on the one picture, but, they are taken at the same angle )
Name:  BeforeandAfterDrop.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  188.3 KB

Last edited by strang3majik; 08-30-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 2500 springs?