2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Losing my mind!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 PM
jetrbl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing my mind!

Hey everyone.New to this site and have spent hours trying to find the problem with my truck.Hope someone can help,starting to lose it. I have a 1996 Dodge ram 5.2 .Runs fine until I put a load on it,then it runs great until something starts breaking down.Then it loses all power and starts popping through the intake.Stop for awhile and let whatever it is cool down, then I can continue on for awhile again until it gets hot again.The engine temp. is normal so it's not the engine over heating,trans temp is good.So far I have replaced plugs, cleaned distributor cap,removed CAT,replaced O2 sensor,changed coil. Any suggestions? I have read about this problem on this site but no fix.If anyone has fixed theirs, Please help

Old 09-06-2010, 08:41 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

backfiring in the intake indicates an out of time spark condition. look into the cam position sensor inside the distributor cap. its listed in parts stores/sites as secondary ignition pickup coil.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:48 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

Possible vapor lock? I know I'm no top gun rating but it kinda sounds like possible vapor lock not 100% positive though.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:22 PM
jetrbl

Hey all.Just wanted to let everyone know,I think I found the problem.Today the truck started acting the same without the load so I checked the fuel pressure.15 psi .Hopefully when I change that it will be good to go. Thanks

Quick Reply: Losing my mind!