2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck dies then restarts

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010 | 07:39 PM
captnbob
|
Question Truck dies then restarts

I've got a 98, 1500, 5.2, auto, 4x4. This problem started about 3 months ago. The truck would die after about 10 to 20 minutes of running. Sometimes it would start right back up, others it may take a few minutes, but would always start and not give any more trouble till it cooled back down. Last week things got much worse. On a trip to town it died and took longer to start back. In about 15 minutes of running it died again. In all it died 4 or 5 times, ending up draining the battery and getting a recharge. Still had to be towed home.

My first thoughts was the fuel pump. But the pressure holds at 50psi, even after it dies. I've checked the codes and get a p0505 code. IAC problem. I get this code even before the engine starts. I'm still learning my code reader so i'm not sure if I get more codes or not. The key dance does not seem to work on my truck.

Anyone got a place to start looking???

Thanks, Bob

Quick Reply: Truck dies then restarts