2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram shakes at highway speeds, pull over, goes away...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:45 PM
JohnnyZJ
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

problems your trackbar.
replace it. you're experiencing deathwobble most likely.
the reason you dont' feel it all the time is because it takes a certain bump at the right time to set it loose. that why you slow down once and it seems ok. afterthat. the longer you drive it like this, the guess is it will get looser, and you'll experience it more frequently.

if it was balljoints or something else you'd feel it all the time.

theres an easy way to find out; get someone in the cab of the truck to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth. watch the trackbar ends for play; there should be NONE. then watch balljoints, etc. nothing should be moving......

Old 09-25-2010, 10:02 AM
bbeamer

Originally Posted by bobboraze
Also I should note, my steering is quite sloppy and has a lot of play. I've been meaning to get underneath and take up the slack. Not sure if that would have an effect.. (I'm sure the shaking makes it worse over time)

It's got to be a form of that death wobble though.... I'm not sure if tightening the box will help any, but I may pick up that stabilizer bracket...
This is where you've got to start looking for wear. I am surprised that you say your steering is sloppy but everything checks out. Could be the play in the steering box is causing the wobble.

Get a buddy to sit in the seat and turn the wheel back and forth while you lay underneath and look at each component for movement. The trackbar movement will range from slight to slightly greater. Same with the steering gear, tie rods, etc.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:13 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

This is the correct way to adjust the gear box, http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/steeri...ear/Adjust.htm

Old 09-25-2010, 07:49 PM
WhtDually95

I am with JonnyZJ, bad track bar equals death wobble.

Quick Reply: Ram shakes at highway speeds, pull over, goes away...