2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aother new guy

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:17 AM
RE-MAN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aother new guy

hello. my name is sean. i am from the good ol dirty south where there is a ram around almost every corner and more shade tree mechanics than shade trees. i work for UPS as their mechanic, before that i was a lube tech at a local quike lube. so i have a worked around cars for a while. ive been reading all the different posts on here for a while, it didnt take me long to realize there are people on here that know what they are talking about so i figured i could really benefit from this

i have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with a 318. (so far this is my tenth vehicle in four years) just bought it last week and i love it. i am new to dodge but not chrysler, i have had two jeeps, one junk the other i loved. it has 178000 miles or so, when i bought it it needed a tune up, belt tensioner, and power steering pump, so i thats all i have done to it so far.

it has a flowmaster, lookin to get rid of it. any suggestions on what to get instead? i would keep it but i hate the sound.
also lookin to do a better intake. should i go CAI or old school air cleaner? i havnt decided on that yet either. \\

i will post pictures soon. i just have to find the cord that goes from the camera to the computer first///

anyway any opinions are more than welcome

Old 09-21-2010, 02:59 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm happy with my Gibson swept-side single. It's not all that loud, just a nice deep note. I went with the aluminized steel to save a few bucks in case I didn't like the thing, but I like it enough that now I wish I'd just gone for the stainless. Oh well. When this one gives up the ghost it'll be replaced with the same thing in stainless.

I'm also happy with my K&N FIPK-II intake -- having experienced the down side of an open 14x3 (water got past it, #1 piston shattered) I'll never again run a 14x3. Chances are good that you'll be happy with just about any CAI you might buy.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:10 AM
MeanMagnum
Amateur

Hey welcome! I've heard good things about Magnaflow. Good performance and good sound, but not loud like flowmaster. I work as a driver @ UPS, so I feel your pain and joy...

Old 09-21-2010, 05:04 AM
CBR900RR19
Professional

Welcome to the nut house!! LOL I'm fairly new to the forum as well. I have found a wealth of knowledge and good people here. The question of the CAI goes back n forth here a lot. Some feel its a waste some love em and some love their 14 x 3's. I myself think I am going to go with the K&N FIPK-II after everything I have read on here and else where. Leaning towards the Magnaflow single side out. Dual out after cat doesn't seem to make any more gains just looks so I'm likin this system with a dual tip...

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=3042

Old 09-21-2010, 07:02 PM
jswain
Veteran

I looked around a lot at exhaust, finally got a magnaflow muffler. I got a bigger bodied one, shop had to order it. Its 5 x 11 x 22. Is pretty quiet, hardly hear it at 70 mph at steady throttle, but you hear it when accelerating, which is what I wanted. Used stock pipe.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 AM
RE-MAN

i was probably going to go to magnaflow. i used one on my toyota and liked it.

hey meanmagnum, what kind of UPS truck do you drive?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What exactly do you mean by you hate the sound? Do you like loud, grumbling, cackling exhaust or just a low rumble that won't set off car alarms but still have a good tone?

A CAI is a big improvement over a stock box with a drop in K&N according to the butt dyno. I traded my old K&N FIPK for my brother in laws stock box for when I play in the mud because I run a 14x2 in mine.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have cherrybob extreme si/do , its a single chamber muffler sounds great ! !
2001 have the death flash and a tuner will over write that, and you may have to do a tune up make sure all is running smooth

Old 09-23-2010, 01:17 AM
RE-MAN

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
What exactly do you mean by you hate the sound? Do you like loud, grumbling, cackling exhaust or just a low rumble that won't set off car alarms but still have a good tone?
i just dont like the tin can sound. i mean when its first started up it sounds awesome. but twenty minutes down the road i cant stand it. and its dumped. which just adds to the racket.

Quick Reply: Aother new guy